Chapter 48

"Today's the day" I sigh brushing through my hair for once. I looked into the mirror with some confidence. Flint hasn't seemed to have said anything about what I did.

He told Margaret that he was just being clumsy and fell. I just don't understand why. He could have told them I punched him. There was no proof that he ever came onto me, at least I don't think so.

I rubbed my tired eyes before straightening up. "Let's get it over with" I mumble and make my way out the door. The last day of class was yesterday and today was the day we were either accepted or rejected. I don't think reality had set in for me yet.

As I made my way to the elevator I was met by a very tired Willa. "Not a morning person?" I ask and she nods. "I see you are" she chuckles and I shake my head. "Didn't use to be, but now that I'm taking care of my baby sister- it's kind of like once you're up you're up" I explain and she nods again before pressing the button to the first floor.

"Want to ride together? I've got a ride coming" she asks and I nod. "Isn't it expensive, constantly getting a ride?" I ask and she shakes her head. "There's this thing it's like a punch card, you pay forty bucks for it, but then you get like thirty rides- you just hand them the card and they punch it in" she explains as we make our way out the door.

"Wait that's actually genius" I laugh and she nods. "I honestly cried a bit about the forty bucks but then I realized I would have spent triple that on rides back and forth" she continues and I once again just nod. "Genius" I mutter to myself and she laughs at me as a small black car pulls up in front of us. "Hello again Willa" the woman rolls down her window and she jumps in the car, me following behind.

The ride there was mostly just silent because I think we were all stressing about being picked. It was the same thing when we met up with the others. We exchange short greetings but that's it. "Hey" flint walks over the swelling of his eye going down.

"Hello, Flint! Are you scared about getting picked?!" Ariel asked him and he nods wrapping an arm around Margaret's shoulder in a friendly way. I didn't question it until he wrapped his other around me. His hand rubbing my shoulder.

"Terrified" he laughs. The girls giggle as I just fake a chuckle. Making our way into the big building, we start to our classroom, just us five, possible students if we were lucky.

Instead of going to our stools, we were guided to the couch by Ms. Waters. She leaves the room I'm assuming to get our professor as the girls sit down followed by Flint who pulls me onto his lap.

The girls laugh and I do as well before sliding off of him. "Funny" I mumble and he loosely put his arm around me and the other around Willa now. The door opens and Matty walks in followed by his preppy assistance her attire seems so out of place with the whole building.

"Hello, my young students" he winks to us his arms out. "Hello" we all call out and his smile stays strong while stopping in front of us. "So I'm just going to get straight to the point, you were all given the chance to be here for your amazing art skills and winning the contest. The only thing we were looking for was how willing you were to learn, and your attitude- all were great... unless anybody wants to say anything?" He looks between us all and Flint squeezes my shoulder.

If I don't say anything he'll leave me alone, and if I do say something he might say something about me attacking him. It's my last day I'll just keep my mouth shut. I bite my lip, but keep quiet. "Good, you've all been given the spot, but just because you have it doesn't mean we won't take it away" he ends it as we all erupt into cheers.

The two adults watch us, as we hugged and cheered. Ms. Waters clears her throat and we hurry to sit down. "You will be taught for two school years, summers will still be taken off. Your time will be counted as credits. When done you will graduate with a degree. Since we understand most of you don't live in the state, you will be sent tickets a week before school starts and flown back to stay in the hotel again. "Third floor is for first years" I started to drone out when I came to the realization.

I looked to the ground as she went over supplies. I can't do it. Biting my lip I shake my head.  The rest of her speech went by as a whir and the next thing I know the others are standing up to celebrate.

My heart was shattered. It was fun while it lasted. Without any hesitation, I walked up to Matty and Miss. Waters standing in front of them with no plan. They both stare at me curiously and I take a deep breath.

"I- okay. I'm sorry, but I think you should give someone else my spot . I can't just leave my sister at home for that long. She's only two and my parents are out of the picture. My best friend and boyfriend are actually taking care of her right now, anyways I really can't do that to them. Thank you for the offer though" I hurry to get the words out.

"Oliver I really think- you have so much talent-" Miss. Waters was cut off by Matty as he put a hand on her shoulder. "Listen, I understand what you're going through, the spot will be kept open for you to decide. I want you to really think this over. Talk with your friends. You are so talented it would be such a waste if you didn't" I rub my arm but nodded.

"Okay..." I answer. They were making it so hard. Of course, I wanted to be here but leaving my family like that. I just can't do it. "You still have my number, correct?" Ms. Waters asked and I nodded.

"Good please contact me and I will send the ticket your way. We really hope to see you here next year" she continued and Matty nodded. "Please think hard about it" he adds patting my back. I nodded and turned to leave, going down the stairs, out the door, and out of the building.

I realized I was about to break down again so I hurried over to Willa. "Can I hitch a ride with you again?" I ask and she nods clapping. "We're all going to go out after we get back and dressed, are you going to come?" She asked and I nodded.

"Oh- yeah, sure I just need to do some things first, call my family and stuff like that. Why don't you text me the address and I'll meet you there" I suggest and we get into the car, her handing me her phone.

I type in my number and we chat about all the fun things we would get to do next year. I thanked her for the ride and hurried up to my room. I locked the door and kept the lights off before going to lay on my bed.

Taking my phone out I ignored the message from Willa and called Lily. She picked up immediately and I smiled hearing her cheery voice. "Can I talk to Evelyn?" I ask getting a small "mhmm" there's some shifting before I can hear my sister's tiny giggles.

I rub my eyes trying not to get too emotional. "Okay put it to your ear, I'm going to go make us some lunch" Lily instructs the girl before I assume she walks away. "Hello!" She shouts and I chuckle missing her cute self. "Hello" I smile and she cheers hearing my voice.

"Co bak!" She yells and I nod to myself. "I'm coming back don't worry, probably won't leave again either" I assure her. "I'll see you soon okay, I just wanted to hear your voice," I tell her, and she giggles.

"See you! See you!" She cheers and I nod again to myself. "You've been good, right?" I ask and she immediately answers. "Yup! Good- if I good you come back!" She tells me and I cover my mouth with my hand. "I would have come back anyways but thank you for being good" I thank her and she gives me a tiny hum. "Mhmm!" She cheers.

"Well, brother has got to go, tell Lily I said bye. I love you" I tell her. "Okie. Bye-bye" I could already tell she was waving to the phone. I also could tell it was on speaker or there was no way I would have been able to hear her, so I tried not to give it away that I was sad.

I hung up and threw my phone to the side.

"Fuck!"