Chapter 26

"I need to go get the baby powder, stay here" I whisper kissing my sister's head. "I go wih" she cheers and I shake my head. "Please stay here," I ask her starting for the door.

I just finally got her to calm down and I really didn't need her running around again. I made my way to the bathroom, not even making it halfway there when there's a loud thud, followed by a scream.

I rush back to the room finding my sister sprawled out on the floor. "Evelyn" I cry scooping her up into my arms. She lets out a scream as I examined her body.

"Tell me what hurts" I beg and she closes her eyes. "Did you hit your head?" I pry rubbing her head lightly. She keeps her eyes closed crying hard. "Evelyn" I coo and she finally manages to open her eyes.

Her pupils were dilated and I just couldn't get her to focus on me. "Okay- okay. I need to stay calm" I breathe heavily. "Can you touch what hurts?" I ask and she doesn't respond.

I stand with her in my arms grabbing clothes to throw over her. Grabbing my wallet, and phone afterwards, before searching the kitchen for Lily's keys. I was frantic, I never got my license- Drove a total of three times. I knew what I was doing, I suppose.

Strapping the crying child in I got into the drivers' side. I looked back to find her head laid back against her seat. Eyes were either sealed shut or staring straight ahead.

I backed out of the driveway just to realize I didn't even know where the nearest hospital was. I put the car in park thankful nobody was behind me before searching it up on my phone putting on directions.

As soon as I was on the road and stable I reached my hand back grabbing my baby sister's foot. "You're going to be okay, big brother is here" I coo getting sniffles in return. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you" I continue.

Halfway there I got a call from Lily that I sadly couldn't answer. She called three times before Axel called and the last ten minutes was both of them texting and calling me nonstop.

I was so close to crying. I parked as best as I could before going for the keys and unbuckling myself. I unstrap my sister from her seat holding her head into my chest as I ran into the big hospital surprised by the size.

I don't know how long I had driven but I was not in town anymore. I rushed to the front desk scaring the poor lady. "I'm sorry I've never done anything like this before, my sister fell off my bed and I think she might have a concussion- something is not right" I try to explain as her look softens.

"Can I see her face?" She asked and I nod turning Evelyn to face her. The girl couldn't even sit up without my help and her eyes were lidded. I held in a cry at the sight as the woman went to her phone.

"Can we have a doctor, preferably for the younglings?" she asked and hummed along to their question. "Okay dear tell me her name and age" she starts to write things down as a few people rush out of the hall.

Taken from my hands "we will take good care of her" the woman assures me and I watch her leave slumped over. "Where are they taking her?" I ask tearing up. "Somewhere to help, I need you to answer the questions," she says calmly her eyes flickering to the closing doors.

"Evelyn Jade Slen, she just turned two" I wipe my eyes and she nods writing those down. "You said you are her brother, does she live with you?" I nod quickly not wanting any more questions asked. "Parents?" I gulp at the question. "Didn't want her, they got their perfect child and didn't want the extras" I exhale and her face drops before handing me a clipboard and a pen.

"Please fill this out" I nod taking the board over to the sitting area. I felt so out of place. Where was she now? Is she okay? Is she hurting? What if she's scared?