Milkshakes

"Ten...nine...eight..." Noah counted to give me a headstart to our race to the diner. Winner got to pick the kind of milkshake for us to share and since he was faster than me, he, being the gentleman he was, decided to give me a ten second headstart.

"seven...six...fivefourthreetwoone" I hear behind me as Noah decides that maybe ten seconds for a headstart is too long. I push myself even harder to reach the double doors of Mal's diner first; I can now see the blue and red building with its flashing LED lights. As I near the resturaunt, I can hear his panting getting louder, and Noah's quick footsteps sound closer.

As I run up the short stairs to the doors, Noah takes the ramp, but he still manages to reach the doors first.

"Hah! You lost!" he says, smiling at me and my face turns into a scowl.

"You cheated! That was not ten seconds!" I tell him, still uspet that he won.

"Whatever, don't be a sore loser. Vanilla it is!" he shouts, opening the doors for me to walk in.

I roll my eyes at him as he prepares to order, but before he makes his way to the register he says, "Let's compromsie, a chocolate-vanilla swirl?"

"You're the best!" I say giggling and kissing him on the cheek as I snatch us a booth as I wait for him to return with our large milkshake. Even though it was Fall, the days were still pretty exhausted, and since Noah and I had ran six miles, training for a half marathon we wanted to run in January, we decided to treat ourselves to a cool drink, replenshing our calories.

Noah came back to our table with a large glass full of brown and white and I couldn't help but lick my lips at the sight. My throat was so dry from running and the milkshake looked so good. Noah unwrapped two straws and placed them in the drink as he sat on one of the stools across from me. He smiled at me and we both put our lips to the straws. Mal's milkshakes were the best and I couldn't help thinking that I would train for a half marathon every day if this was what I recieved as a reward. Noah and a milkshake- a good combination!

After we finished our delicious milkshake, Noah and I walked the five minute path to my house holding hands and talking about tongue twisters.

"Say Irish Wristwatch ten times super fast!" I tell Noah.

"Irish Wristwatch Irish Wristwatch Iris Wiswaa! Ahh, that's impossible!" he says, "Say red leather, yellow leather ten times fast now!"

"Red leather yellow leather Red leather yellow leather Red letter yellow leath! That's a good one, too!"

As we pass by the old Reilly soccer fields, we spot a few of the season's last dandelions spotting the landscape. I pull Noah to the deserted field and I pick two of the yellow flowers, one for each of us. "He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not..." after a while, picking the last flower petal, "He loves me not! Noah! How could you lie to me like that?" I say this feigning hurt and he chuckles and does the same to his dandelion.

"Oh, looks like you love me, but I don't love you! Better luck next time!" he jokes after picking the tiny yellow petals.

"What am I going to do with myself now?" I joke and then my phone buzzes in my sports bra. This running outfit doesn't have any pockets, so there really wasn't a better option.

Noah laughs as I awkwardly stick my hand down my bra to pull it out and I see I have a text from my mom and I sigh.

"I have to go finish my homework and then attend mass at my church tonight," I say sighing and he kisses my cheek after saying, "Okay, I'll walk you home,".

As we walk home a blue Honda civic drives by blasting the old song, "Teach Me How to Dougie" and Noah and I automatically start dancing, even as the music goes away.