The End

"Shut up, this is none of your business," he said.

"Do you not realize how stupid you are being? She means way more to me than she does to you," the other replied.

"Yeah, right. Keep your mouth shut or you will be dead meat," he threatened.

"You have to say something," the other said with frustration clear in his tone.

"I will, I will. I just have to find a good time," the first claimed, throwing up his hands in the air in exasperation.

It had been two days since his secret had been discovered. He hadn't spoken up about and the other one was getting tired of it. Opportunities had been presented.

-----

"Okay, so now that we have finished the wheelchair ramp, it is time to fix up the windows," I told my little campers.

The kids nodded understanding, and Bruce grunted in acknowledgement. I had never actually heard him say anything, just grunt. I liked him, though. He was a nice enough kid.

"Let's go get the materials from the shed around back," James said and the kids followed him to the backyard for glass, wood, and paint.

"Oh, my. This is a high quality ramp, thank you so much! You and your kids worked so fast and diligently," said Mr. Pemberworth, the owner of the house. He sat in the sunny, front lawn in a light jacket, gazing at the work in admiration. His wife and him had lost the ramp to Hurricane Sandy and many of their windows had broken, too. After the hurricane passed, he had found his red sedan a few houses away, flipped on its top. Seeing the situation, Mrs. Baxter was watching over her group by herself as Noah worked on the car. Two days had passed since we first arrived here and Noah had finished with the vehicle, giving it a fresh coat of paint after getting out the dents and making it look as good as new. The Pemberworths seemed extremely thankful for our assistance and they admitted that our group of hard-working children had exceeded their expectations. They were very hospitable and Mrs. Pemberworth had brought out iced tea, lemonade, and chocolate chip cookies every day we had been here. Mr. Pemberworth entertained the kids with magic tricks in small breaks and a few of the boys were trying to imitate them back at the cabins.

I sat on a lawn chair, taking a few gulps of water to stay hydrated while talking to Mr. Pemberworth. He made me a laugh a lot and I was reluctant to excuse myself to continue working after a few minutes.

Coming over to the closest window, I noticed Melissa getting frustrated as she tried to nail the framing of the window on by herself with one hand holding the nail and the other holding the hammer.

"Here, I'll hold and you hit," I say, grabbing the nail and saying a silent prayer that she wouldn't hit my finger like she had hit poor Luke's earlier by mistake when they were building the wheelchair ramp.

"Thanks, Addie," she said as she brought the hammer back and gave the nail a few hard hits to secure the white frame and the new glass in place.

We continued to work as a team for the three other nails until we were finished with the window.

"Good work, Mel," I praised her and then she went on to help Luke on the next window.

"This time you hold the nail and I'll use the hammer," I heard Luke say.

"It's not my fault your hand was in the way! I'm a good hitter! Right, Addie?" Mel asked me for support.

"Luke, it might be hard for you to hit with your hand bandaged like that. Just make sure to steer clear of the hammer and go slowly, Mel, and you should be fine," I advised, hoping that Mel and Luke could go injury-free.