Stolen Away

"I can't come, sorry, I already made plans to travel over break with my family," says Cassie apollogetically, about not being able to come on the mission trip. It is the day after I had been invited by Mrs. Baxter.

"We can't either because our grandmother is coming all the way from California," says Foster about him and Danny.

"I can't because I have All-Stars football games, it's a tournament," Jay says.

"Well, I can come," grumbles Alexx, which surprises me that she would even consider doing that, since she hates kids. The looks at everyone else around the lunch table reflects my shock.4

"Count me in, too!" Lily says.

"Great, that makes four of us!" I say, clapping my hands together.

"Five," says James as he walks by me, to grab a soda in the vending machine behind our table.

"What are you talking about, James?" I ask him. I haven't talken to him in over a month! Not once!

"I saw your name on the volunteer sheet at Church when I went to morning mass the other day, and guess what, would you know that I happened to have been invited to help the middle schoolers too?" he says, smirking as he leaves me looking dumbfounded.

Cassie's mouth is hanging open and suddenly she snaps it shut saying, "Oh my gosh! That's so weird. What do you think he wants?"

"To torment me because he's still upset I chose to date your brother instead of himself," I say with a sigh.

"Maybe he wants to be friends?" Lily suggests and a few heads at our table shake, denying the conclusion.

"Bullshit. Has he even talked to you since you told him you wanted to be with Noah?" Alexx asks me, propping her face up on the table with her elbows.

"No, ugh, at least you, Lily, and Noah will be there," I say, sighing and gathering my belongings as the bell rang.

In study hall, I tried to study for my test in geography last period, but my mind kept drifting back to the worry I had over going on that mission trip with James. He's up to something, I know it.

My phone buzzed, and I pulled it out to see a text from the devil himself.

I want to be friends again.

Really? Wow, thanks. I suggested that idea a long time ago. Tell me what you really want.

It really is no use trying to pretend like he is so innocent- I know him better than that. I decide to cut right to the chase and be a bit harsh to him because he should've pulled himself together like this sooner. I recieve another text.

To be friends, honestly. I realized my mistake. Meet me after school today?

Fine. We do need to talk. Where?

Let's go back to our first date. Remember where?

Of course I remember, the arcade with the bowling and lazer tag.

The one where you blackmailed me to go on with you? Doesn't count.

Whatever you would like to think. See you in an hour.

Sixth period passed by so slowly and not just because I was taking a super hard test. I couldn't concentrate on anything and it was so frustrating! I studied so hard for this test all to throw it away because this is the moment stupid James decides to mess with me.

I accidentaly slam my head on the table and I recieve a few stares and I quickly hide my face behind the folders set up to prevent cheating.

Laying my head down on the desk, giving up, I recieve a tap on my shoulder.