Eye openings

"Hey Addie, what's up?" James asks me at my locker.

"Nothin' much, you?" I ask him, closing the green locker door after grabbing all the books I needed.

"I've started to pack for the mission trip," he tells me as he walks me to first period.

"I'm going to procrastinate and pack the night before most likely," I admit.

"See you later," he says as he reaches my nearby class and I say goodbye.

Walking into class, I take my normal seat next to Cassie who is staring at my face.

"What is up with you and James being all buddy-buddy now?" Cassie asks me with her eyebrow raised in suspicion and dissaproval.

"I know that none of you think this, but I actually talked to him yesterday and he wants to try being friends! Isn't that great?" I ask her, trying to ignore the tension in the atmosphere.

"No, that's not great. He still likes you, you know and not in the same way Noah does. I mean, he doesn't gaze at you lovingly. No, he looks at you like you're a piece of meat, a prize," she says, huffing with annoyance at my actions.

"Everyone deserves a second chance," I say and the bell rings and the teacher walks in before she can reply.

I hate having none of my friends or my boyfriend to back me up with becoming friends with James. I know it's sort of risky, but they could at least take a break in criticizing me. I look over to see Cassie, ignoring the lesson, and typing away on her Droid. Seconds later, I get a text, but not from Cassie- it's from Noah.

Why are you hanging out with that jerk again?

Because he apologized and he was very sincere. He's going on the mission trip with us and it's better to make up beforehand, so things aren't extremely awkward.

You're so dense sometimes, Addison. He is trying to take you from me! It's not a coincidence he's signed up for that mission trip with us.

Before I can respond, I feel a hand tap my shoulder and looking over, I see my teacher's hand held out expectantly.

I don't exactly want to make Mr. Frank mad because he will send globs of spit flying my way, but I'm not a morning person to begin with, and having all my friends against me does not put me in the best mood.

"What?" I ask him, staring up at his eyes with a menacing look. This is homeroom for Christ's sake! All we are learning about is going to college and I've already been accepted to the University of Virgina Tech, so I really don't need to pay so much attention.

He doesn't seem fazed and holds out his hand as he says, "Phone. Now, Addie."

"It's not my fault I have friends," I say, which pisses him off, considering he probably doesn't have any.

He snatches the phone out of my hand, "It's not my fault you now have a detention after school either," he says and I hear a bunch of "ooohs" and "ahhhs" from my classmates.

"Well, then," I say, annoyed, but not wanting to skip class again, considering all of the makeup work I had after the Amber fiasco.

"Learn to behave," is his response and I see a few students in the front row flinch at the spit flying from his mouth.

I roll my eyes at his parent-like remark and half-listening to the rest of the lesson on college, I start to braid my hair, earning me another glare from Mr. Frank, but I could care less.

The bell rings soon after since the class is only twenty minutes long and I go up to the front desk to retrieve my phone from Mr. Frank.

"No, no. You get this after detention, young lady," he says and I want to slap that arrogant smirk off his old, wrinkly buttface.