Honey Eyes

At first I thought Aaron was kidding. I played along. Ha Ha. Then splashed him for his cutesy attempt to embarrass me. But he held my eyes, firm expression, a you-think-I'm-joking-but-I'm-not kind of expression. I was stumped and my thought process... a wet mess.

"You're serious? You're going to teach me how to kiss?"

"Sure, why not? Think of it as putting theory to practice. We become great kissers with experience, but what if someone with experience actually showed you what to do. Wouldn't that make life a whole lot easier?" His grin widened. I couldn't tell if he was being sincere or slimy.

"How experienced are you, have you kissed the whole town?"

He laughed. "I don't know how to answer that without coming off too cocky. But no, definitely not the whole town, or half. It's just a form of affection I really enjoy."

"I have to tell you, I-I like someone else. And while I could really benefit from this unusual agreement, I just want to impress him when the time comes."

"Sounds good to me. I'll share my tips and help you win over your boy. Deal?"

"This is so bizarre but, deal." I dunk my head and pop back up. How did this even happen?

I knew that night would be life changing. Even though my heart belonged to Isaiah, I couldn't help the friendly flirtation between Aaron and I. It felt like we were old friends. Somehow this left me wondering how awkward things would get when it came down to business. Would I be able to take this serious, hide, or burst out laughing? I don't know!

Hoping I would get an introduction to Aaron's lesson plans, we were interrupted by someone's voice calling my name from the shore. I frowned at the thought of leaving but we swam back.

"Aaron, this is my best friend, Izzy. This is Aaron." I said before shaking the sand off my dress to slip it on.

He nodded. "Nice to meet you."

"Same here. Thanks for keeping my B in good company." She winked at me. "I'll wait for you by the Jeep."

I stalled while she walked ahead, planning to catch up with her in a minute, but secretly anticipating something to happen,

"Well, Brynn. It was a pleasure to meet you and I before I forget," he turned to his pile of clothes and pulled out a cell. "I'm going to need your digits."

Low key beaming, I recited my number. At the last second as I was about to take off, he reached for my fingers. Sliding his palm to mine, he stared intently and kissed the back of my hand. The instant I felt his lips, a warm flash shot up my arm. Who knew a simple gesture could be so intense.

"I thought I would initiate things with a gentleman's kiss." He flashed those dimples again and for a second I forgot where I was.

That week, at school, everything seemed normal. Except, I had a big secret, one that I didn't even share with Elizabeth. I was too afraid that Jordan would find out and humiliate me to no end. The fact that no one knew I was going to make out with a hot college guy, after class, had me walking on clouds.

But looking towards the future had me overlooking my present. Isaiah was throwing tiny paper beads at me while I was too busy daydreaming. Once I saw the confetti around my chair, I let out a loud sigh as though I couldn't be bothered with such childishness.

"What's with you today?" He whispered, annoyed.

"What do you mean?" I snarled.

Yet what I really wanted to ask him was if it bothered him not getting all the attention I usually showered him. Kissing Isaiah was my ultimate goal, I wanted to leave him so speechless that he wouldn't hesitate to ask me to be his girlfriend. Braces and all. But compared to Aaron, he looked and acted like a tween and I was ready to further my education.

Before the bell rang, I got a text from Aaron asking if I wanted to meet him at The Pit. I did, except I had no ride. Asking Izzy and her brother was out of the question. But when he offered to pick me up, I realized I never told him my age. I suggested he get me at a pizza place just a few blocks away from school.

Once I dodged Izzy and practically sprinted down the sidewalk, my heart refused to settle down. That voice inside my head wouldn't make up it's mind. Yes, this was crazy. No, I didn't know him all that well and he could turn out to be a complete psycho. Yes, he's one of the most gorgeous guys I've ever seen aside from Isaiah. Yes, I should probably tell my mom or Izzy where I'll be in case of anything. Back and forth, back and forth till I reached the pizza shop.

I chewed down on my lip, knowing it wasn't too late to back out. Then a teal Ford Falcon pulled up to the curb. I knew the vintage car was Aaron's from the surf boards strapped to the roof. When he stepped out with his shades, wet hair and blushing tan fresh from the beach, the lump returned in my throat. He was even more attractive in the daylight.

"Hey!" Aaron slid the sunglasses over his head and my jaw about dropped at the reveal of his bright honey brown eyes.

A monstrous swirl formed at the center of my stomach, like a giant butterfly awakening from years of slumber. Was this the same guy I met last weekend? "H-hi."

He came around to open my door and I couldn't be more obvious at the shock. After I strapped myself in, I watched him get behind the wheel and shift gears. Standard cars were hot too.

"I know this nice spot down on the beach we can go to."

"Okay, I just can't be out too long."

"Don't worry, I'll have you back before you turn into a pumpkin. All I ask is one thing."

"Which is?"

"A kiss at sunset."