Wedding Bells

There were 25 seats on each side; red roses and blue ribbons dangling on the out and inside rows. The grass had a luscious green contrast against the white furniture and aisle run. Everything was going according to plan and right on schedule as the guests were filling the seats, an interesting picture as the invitees were in uniforms and casual spring dresses.

"Brynn, come on its time!" Janet cried.

I scurried from the window and made way to the exit of our little building, it stood on the opposite side from where the groomsmen stayed. 3 familiar men with their violins began to play as Janet and the first friendly Sergeant walked down the aisle. Next was Nancy and then my turn. I gave one last glance at my mother behind me, she radiated elegance and beauty; a vision that I hoped to emulate on my BIG day.

Even though it wasn't mine but my mother's 'big' day, I felt a little anxious as my turn approached. I walked out and my feet felt like they were walking on needles, but the spotlight grew dim as I saw Terrence walking in my direction. Speaking of visions, he looked so dashingly handsome in his sharp dress blues. Heck I would have said 'I do' alongside my mother if given the chance.

We met in the middle and I wrapped my hand around his arm, as we walked down the aisle now I could feel my cheeks camouflage to shade of my garnet dress.

"You look lovely." I heard Terri whisper discreetly.

We walked almost reaching the subtle platform when instantly the melody changed into the bridal march. My grandpa, in his brittle age, walked my mother down proudly; his eyes already watering before reaching the audience. My mother wore a beige lace dress, resembling a vintage princess doll. When I looked over at Mr. Rogers, his happiness had already imploded as it was oozing from his eyes.

The whole ceremony became a blur as all I could do was stare at the happiness that lay ahead for my 'parents' and the question mark between Terri and I. Like me, he had been gazing at his brother and future sister-in-law, but our eyes rested on each other for the greater part of the time. The vows were exchanged and so were the rings. Before the couple could march down the aisle together, Kevin's comrades and groomsmen assembled in two lines drawing out their swords to form an arch as they walked underneath it.

After an hour's worth of pictures, we were finally able to move to the reception, also held outside only a few yards away. My favorite was the fountain with champagne that had strawberry slices floating on the bottom. I also couldn't help admire my 3 tier cake, with streams of bright red and blue berries circling each layer. I was very pleased with the turnout.

After the first dance and the speeches were delivered, the music changed drastically to 80's classics; love and rock songs. I was surprised to see Terri's looser side as he and I were having so much fun on the dance floor. Occasionally I'd hear a baby squeal and I'd look over to find Izzy rocking subtly to the music with Devin standing behind her. You know, they really did look good together; Rhea had light blue eyes but brown hair, so she could easily pass as Devin's own.

And finally the last ounce of weirdness had vanished between Jordan and I as we both had clearly moved on. Although nothing serious was becoming of him and Janet, they enjoyed hanging and talking with each other… so you never know. As for Isaiah and Lilah…well they already looked like a married couple. It was crazy to think what all had changed in these past years, from being lost and confused to now having a sense of direction and steady relationships. And my mother remarried!

After dinner, Terri and I returned to the floor for the slower dance portions. My eyes were fixed on his uniformed chest; studying the little ribbons, medals and buttons. We danced to these corny lyrics, that's 80's for you. And wouldn't you know it, Terri knew some of the lines; maybe it was one of his brother's favorites. But what shocked me the most was his stunning voice; I wasn't expecting that at all!