Winter Break

"What do you mean 'we should take a break'?" I said while flopping to the floor.

After about 20 minutes into our phone conversation I had an awful suspicion that something was wrong with Aaron. We were about to celebrate our 5 month anniversary and I was trying to figure out what birthday package I could gather together to surprise him. But as I kept asking obvious questions I could sense his voice grow stranger.

"I just think we jumped into this knowing the challenge it would be and I don't think we were really prepared for it. I was being selfish and I can't tell you how awful I feel about it." Aaron went on to explain.

"So what you regret that weekend entirely? You don't love me anymore?" I asked unmistakably hurt.

"No of course I LOVE you and I don't regret a single moment with you. I just don't think it's fair to you. I mean I'm stuck here for Christmas and I won't be able to fly down there till summer, if that. Remember I told you that could happen?"

"Yeah but what happened to me flying over there?"

"There's a small crew and we're heading to Alaska for 2 months. We will be on a boat the entire time; it will be impossible to call you. It's just not fair to you. I can't give you the time and dedication you need right now."

I was hurt and drenched in silent streams of tears. I made sure he didn't hear me crying; it would only make matters worse. So we were 'taking a break' or 'temporarily breaking up' better yet said. How did this happen? Was it truly just bad timing for us? Are there couples that are truly meant to be together but they have to wait years to actually BE together?

"I was talking with my coworker and what she said made perfect sense. You're a senior and you need to enjoy your life right now, not be impatiently waiting by the phone for me to call."

He made it sound like I didn't have a life. But more importantly, who was this 'coworker' that was brainwashing MY boyfriend into breaking up with me? I immediately began to wonder if she was pretty or not. Did she have feelings for him and wanted to drive him away from me to have him all to herself? Why hadn't I heard about her before?

"SHE suggested that you break up with me?" my jealousy arose.

"No, Marley was just giving me her perspective on things; things that I knew but was ignoring. Brynn I love you, and because I love you I feel I have to do this."

"If you really loved me, you'd fight for me. Despite what this Marley woman has been telling you. Clearly her word matters more than mine." I uttered coldly.

"Brynn, don't be like that. We are just taking a few steps back that's all." Aaron insisted.

"No maybe you're right. Maybe we should see other people as you obviously have."

"No I didn't say that! We are not seeing each other. We just work together."

"Is she going to Alaska with you?" I asked sternly.

There was a bit of a pause. "...Yes." He murmured.

"Then it's settled. Enjoy your break and your trip to Alaska."

I threw the phone in my drawer and stormed out. If I strained my ears I could hear Aaron's voice calling my name. But I was too hurt, confused and filled with a sense of betrayal. This B**** had been working side by side with Aaron who knows how long and has suggested some 'good' advice as to dumping his high school girlfriend to join the big leagues.

If anything I was jealous of 'Marley'. I'm sure she was incredibly smart to be working there in the first place. And he must have esteemed their friendship to listen to her advice. And then there was the presence factor; she was there present with him, and I was not.