You're Not Alone

I laid back, listening to the instrumental music that echoed in my lonely room. Normally winter was my favorite season but this one took a plunge as the worst of all time. On the bright side, my braces were coming off a couple months earlier. Some good news for a change.

After an hour of pricking and pulling, fist clenching and filing, the braces were completely off. It was the weirdest and coolest sensation to pass my tongue over a smooth surface. My teeth were free. Mom sat in the waiting area, camera at hand for our first picture together without my metallic grill. We were both in need of pampering and quality time, then mom suggested a fresh cut and salon self care.

Remembering last week's disaster, I don't know how I woke up the next day with the strength to get out of bed. I faked smiles at work throughout my shifts, until one afternoon I saw a pair of familiar faces come visit. I took a break and we gathered around a table. Their small talk had me on edge. I knew they were worried about me, but there were still missing pieces to our big puzzle.

Isaiah remained clueless as to who Ana was. After I ran off, while they were dancing, Izzy and Aaron made their own disappearing act also. I was done with her, and a part of me wanted to be done with Aaron too. They wanted answers as to why I left so abruptly. Sticking to my story, I told them how much my stomach hurt, possibly something I ate. I didn't want to ruin my friend's night, so I left on my own. They understood and begged me to not go off on my own again if I needed help. 

My mom filled up the gas tank, we were on our way to Big Bear to spend Christmas away from the city. We spent almost 3 hours on the road, tossing ideas for our mini vacation. I liked the snowboarding lessons and spas.

Once we checked into our cozy cabin, I left all my cares at the door. The Christmas spirit filled our surroundings, from the lobby to our room we inhaled the fresh pine scent and marveled at the vibrant decorations. Mom booked us massages right away followed by a pricey dinner. Then we took a dip in the hot tub out on our floor's deck. 

Before I went to bed, I invited Isaiah and Lilah to come up for a day. The next day, however, was my first snowboarding lesson while my mother signed up for skiing.

I finished my hot chocolate, slipped into my rental suit and waited on my instructor.

"Brynn, right on time. Are you ready?" He asked.

I jumped to my feet and followed him anxiously. On a less crowded slope, surrounded by a few kids and their parents, we met another guy waiting with our boards. I'll tell you what though instructors have plenty of patience to teach because my progress was going nowhere. Between tumbling forward and slipping backward on my butt each time I got up, I was sore and discouraged much sooner than anticipated. Finally, towards the end of the session, I slid for a grand total of 5 feet. Victory!

My instructor made me laugh every time I got frustrated. He truly made this new experience worth remembering. When we went back to the lodge for our lunch break, and took off our head gear, I was shocked. 

"I knew I heard that name before!" He laughed.

"This is crazy! How are you?"

"I'm good. I never thought I'd see you again!"

"I don't know why it didn't click in my head when I heard the name Keith." 

Small world, my instructor turned out to be the blonde guy I went on a group date with just to accompany Izzy and on hers. I remembered what a jerk Jordan was that night, full PDA and all. But lucky for me, Keith saved the evening with his sense of humor.