Subdivisions

As romantic and memorable as Devin's proposal to Elizabeth was I wish I could say the same about her parent's initial reaction. Izzy told me that at first her father was silent and her mother was about to faint from learning that her daughter was pregnant yet again. After having excused themselves from the engaged couple they came back after a while and consented.

According to Devin's talk with Mr. Brown later, he was glad that Devin was being responsible but asked him if he truly loved his daughter. To which Devin replied "Absolutely I do!" With that Mr. Brown was more than delighted to pay for the costs of the wedding.

Izzy wanted to have the wedding before I left to San Francisco, but the crazy part was she wanted a tiny reception with just her close friends and family, not excluding Devin's sister and nephews...that to me was a shocker. I pictured Izzy of all people with a glamorous wedding and a million dollar dress and what not. Then I wondered if she was embarrassed that she was pregnant.

Before she walked down the aisle of 'death do us part' I talked to her in private, finding out that she wasn't about all the glam and glitter anymore. That was evident now, just amazing to hear. She really loved Devin. A love that was genuine and not tempted with unfaithfulness like she had practiced so many times before. And I knew he would propose I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

As far as the pregnancy, when I asked her how she felt about having two now, she smiled touching her belly. She said they gave her selfless purpose and reasons to be better...a better mom. She even amazed herself at how much she loved Rhea and would do anything for her. How lucky was she to find a man that loved her, already having one child, about to their very own.

I also couldn't resist asking Devin if he proposed because of the pregnancy. His reply was simple. He was already going to but didn't know when. The 'scare' gave him the extra push; he would have been the happiest man if she was or wasn't carrying his child. Still, the fact that his desires of his own little family were coming true made him invincible and it showed.

Now that I had the facts straight, it was time to have a wedding. Devin wanted Ruby, his sister, to be his best lady and Jordan was Izzy's male of honor. And while I was growing fond of weddings, I prayed that Terri wouldn't get any bright ideas...I did not want to get married till I was at least 25.

We ran through the procedure; my mother's wedding wasn't that long ago. Izzy and Devin decided on having the wedding ceremony and reception in Izzy's backyard. Jordan even asked his Pastor, Lloyd, if he would marry them. I on the other hand was in charge of the cake and some appetizers, only this time Devin wanted to make some dishes of his own too.

Izzy wanted a light 'brunch' type wedding with summer dresses and casual attire, as opposed to the traditional ones. We finally got to meet Ruby and her children. They added perfectly to the wedding party as flower girl and ring bearer, pulling on a little white wagon with little Rhea sitting inside it. I couldn't believe how cute and intimate this wedding was. To think we pulled it off in a month, beating my mother's record.

Mark wasn't thrilled to hear the news; even wanted to form a legal issue about it. But with Elizabeth parent's reputation in the court rooms, it only took a glare from Mr. Brown to turn Mark away. I was kind of jealous for Rhea, in a good way. At east she would grow up believing that Devin was her daddy and not miss out...heck she was going to have a sibling! I had to wait almost 18 years to know what that felt like.

.

I was straining to keep my eyes open, it was a good thing that Terri was behind the wheel or I would have easily been zigzagging on the road. As my eyes blinked slowly, watching Terri's image focus in and out; I smiled and allowed myself to fall sleep.