Crash Into Me

I couldn't accurately describe the feelings I had once I saw Aaron, but one thing was certain they weren't of confusion. If anything I was little bit frightened. Afraid that the unknowing presence of Aaron back in town was the cause of my awkward feeling of last night. But my intuition had perceived something far worse; I was just unaware of it.

"It's good to see you. How've you been?" He asked tapping his finger on the table.

"I'm doing great actually." I heard the bell ring in the kitchen. "Let me get your drink order and come back."

"Okay, I'll just have a cup of coffee for now."

I swung around after attempting a polite smile. Scavenging through my apron for my phone, I had to text Janet. Wait, should I text Lilah instead? When I went to turn on my phone, all I saw was the tiny orange blinking light. Shoot I forgot to charge it last night! I picked up the plates and delivered them to my tables, then snagged a cup of coffee to return to my Ex.

"So what brings you back in town?" I carried on in a friendly tone.

"I'm just here for a few days. I had to bring back a report on our Alaskan trip, it was amazing..." I could tell he wanted to tell me all about it but forgot that things weren't exactly 'peachy' between us. "I'm also packing some stuff I needed to take back with me."

"Oh that's nice." I smiled again waiting with my little notepad at hand.

"You don't have to act happy for me." His smile stiffened.

"It's just a surprise to see you that's all. We haven't spoken a lot since...Have you decided on what you wanted yet?"

Aaron paused at my indifference. He told me his selection and asked what I was up to these days. And while I would have liked to play 'catch-up' I was also working. So our chat had to be broken up in portions for the time being. I walked around the place a few times, said farewell to a few customers and did some charges at the register, all the while feeling Aaron's eyes follow me to and fro. It felt so lonely working on a Sunday, not even Devin was in.

Chaz signaled for me to come over to the bar, said I had a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Hey Brynn, its Devin. We've been trying to reach you! Izzy and I are at the hospital."

"Is everything ok?" I asked alarmed.

"Uh, not really, its Jordan...just come here when you can. Izzy wants you."

After we hung up I began experiencing some major weird feelings. What was going on? I had to do something but I was stuck here at work and there was no way I could leave my boss with only one waitress. Chaz informed me that one of the other waitresses was scheduled to come in a little bit. So I was to remain idle till then?

I came back to check on Aaron, who also picked up my tension.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah I just got a strange call and now I'm waiting to see if every things okay." I didn't bother telling him who it was about.

It had been an hour already and Aaron was still delaying on his plate. He tried carrying on the conversation when I'd visit his table, as I did with all the customers, but I couldn't tell if he had other motives. Finally the other girl came in and all I needed was to finish with my last table, yet my customer wasn't leaving yet.

I heard someone barge through the door, it was Janet followed by Terri. He always had a calm expression on his face but his slight worry and Janet's pale face got me a little shaken up. I excused myself from Aaron and hurried over to my friends. Janet grabbed my hands and said we had to go to the hospital now. I wished when people said that it would immediately be followed by more details.