No Spark No Fire

A couple of days had passed since I had warmed up to the idea of dating Jordan. I had a hard time believing it and so did my mother. I hadn't mentioned anything to Lilah or Isaiah yet. Maybe because I thought this 'try out' wouldn't last when they returned. But what if it did? What if this turned into a serious relationship and Aaron wanted to finally get together when he got back? These were all risks that had to be taken. And let's not forget his sister turned frenemy; the irony!

How to embrace difficulty in a blossoming relationship? Even though I knew the Brown's house inside out, we couldn't hang out there because of Izzy. We couldn't hang out at my house unless my mother was there, and that would be too weird. Jordan and I had agreed to take things super slow. And tonight would be our second official date.

I sat across from the mysterious gray eyed cutie, who decided to comb his hair back for the first time ever. At a fancy place with our fancy clothes and fancy music in the back ground. This is what any girl would want to be spoiled with. And although I'm not this kind of girl, trying it at least once would be nice.

Our second date and the only contact we had was the linking of our fingers that day. I'll admit I was nervous too, perhaps that the fantasy bubble would pop and we'd realize that this wouldn't work after all. That thought always lingered in the back of my mind. I recalled the time when I had said that I wondered what it would be like to kiss Jordan sober, claiming that it would never happen; well never say never.

We both ate Mediterranean dishes and shared a Crème Brule for dessert. The night was lovely but we didn't talk much. I began to worry. Were we trying too hard to play the roles of the people that belonged in such a lush restaurant as this? Acting too proper was pretty boring.

"It was too much wasn't it?" Jordan asked discouraged.

"Well if you wanted to impress me, I am impressed. But…this isn't me."

"It's just that I remembered you talking about your fairy tale date with Izzy and thought this would be somewhat similar."

"Yes well, you're not the only one who's done some changing around here. I think that fairy tale idea was blown a long time ago."

"That's kind of sad. I rather liked that hopeless romantic side of you."

"I kind of miss it too I guess. But please share something with me, anything." I insisted to keep the conversation rolling.

"I have good news. Last Saturday one of the older surf instructors offered me a job, to give surf lessons and work at his shop. He said he had seen me a couple of times out in the water and wanted to take the next steps to getting me sponsored."

"Are you kidding, that's great! You'll finally get to do what you love for a living. Why didn't you say anything earlier?"

"Because I'm a mess! I don't know why I'm so nervous. When I get nervous I get quiet."

"Are you nervous because you're here with me? What happened to all that arrogance you had stored up in there?"

"It slowly leaked out. I'm afraid I'll disappoint you at some point and I'm just trying to watch what I say and do."

"Then you are not being yourself. I know you've changed a lot and aside from your big ego from before, you'd say some pretty interesting things. And there were moments you showed your caring side; even if you tried to seduce me more times than you were actually nice." I shrugged.

I guess I could have left out the last part as Jordan dropped his head on the table from embarrassment. Way to go Brynn! You idiot! I hesitantly reached over and grabbed his hand that cushioned his forehead.