Last Friday Night

A distant slam of the door startled me, and before my eyes could fully adapt to the brightness of daylight, my throbbing head said, "Not today!" I needed Tylenol fast. My teeth felt grimy and my mouth dry. Stretching as I slowly sat up and checked the time,  it was a little past ten in the morning. 

Gravity took its toll and my headache got worse, as predicted. Izzy's shower ran in the bathroom, but that didn't stop me I from searching her cabinet for any useful meds. I washed my face and craved orange juice, or anything healthy for my body.

"Izzy, I need Tylenol. Where is it?" I groaned.

"It's downstairs in the kitchen. The medicine cabinet right by the fridge." She peeped her head from behind the shower curtain and darted her eyes with a hysterical laugh. "Woah, good morning hickey!" 

What! Hickey?! I held on to the mirror and there, a quarter-sized bruise, stamped on my lower neck. How in the world did this happen, and more importantly, who the heck decided to mark me as their territory? How could I not remember? I stumbled on my way down to the kitchen, still searching for answers.

I served the juice and swallowed the pills in a complete daze. How would I hide this from my mother? We were scheduled for a mother-daughter date this evening. I couldn't wrap a scarf in the beginning summer. Opting for a shower to calm down, I had to get out of this canary dress first then Google hickey removal hacks. 

When I returned to Izzy's room, I found her dressed and texting with keys in her hand. 

"Where are you going?"

"Oh hey, I need to step out a sec. Do you mind? I swear I'll be right back to give you a ride home." She excused herself.

"But-" I was left with words in my mouth as she disappeared in haste.

Why couldn't she drop me off on the way out? Oh wait, maybe not. I still had to figure out the hickey situation. Where was I? Ah yes, a shower.

Rejuvenated, with my headache gone as well as my memories of yesterday. There was a wall I couldn't break through. Retracing my steps, I remembered pushing Jordan away after he kissed me; I still couldn't get over the fact that that happened. I went to rinse my mouth with a beer  and might have drank two more. All guesses at this point, hopefully the truth would come out soon.

"Are you serious!" I slid the curtain to find zero towels.

I hated putting clothes without drying first, it always stuck to my skin and had a wedgie-like effect. I tip-toed to check under the sink cabinet, no such luck. Relieved to hear footsteps in the room, I figured Izzy would hear me with the door open.

"Hey, can you get me a towel?" I shouted, irritated. Her door swung open and I knew she had heard me after all.

"Here ya go-WOW!" A raspy voice spoke, not Izzy's.

I shrieked in panic with nothing but hands to cover my privates. Dripping wet, I needed the towel from Jordan but couldn't grab it without giving him a show.

"Damn you, Jordan! What the hell?" I shouted.

"You said you needed a towel so I brought you one. I thought you were my sister!" 

"You can look away now!" I scowled.

"Oh right."  Turning his head, he handed me the towel and turned around.

After I snatched it and kicked the door shut, I shivered in disgust. The nerve of him seeing me naked now, the cherry on top of my freaking sundae.  

I crept downstairs and waited impatiently in the living room. Jordan's surfboard leaned by the door, which meant he was close. Terrified to see his face again, I scrolled through my phone messages for a distraction. A shirtless Brown walked in with his board shorts. I forced my head down, denying the temptation for another glance. The house looked spotless compared to last night, they must have hired cleaners too.