Steal Your Heart

With summer lurking, I was added 2 more days at the ice cream shop and promoted to assistant store manager. In other words, it looked like I'd be doing nothing but working instead of vacationing. Lilah was going back to her home in Texas, taking Isaiah with her. Which left me Aaron and Jordan, but when I asked Aaron about his summer plans he said he'd be going back to Hawaii for an open position that would count as credits to further his degree.

But first, today was Aaron's graduation. Isaiah and I had driven down, in separate cars, for the ceremony in Long Beach and met up with Lilah and the rest of Aaron's family. I had never really spent time with Aaron's parents before, just a shallow hello and goodbye. I never knew what they thought of me since I was only introduced as a friend, and rightfully so.

During the reception after all the graduates had settled with their families, Aaron had removed his toga showing off his sharp black suit. Some people ate and others mingled around. Meanwhile I was distracted with Aaron's game of hard to get. We never spoke about what happened that night at his house, even though I was ready to confess my feelings if should only ask me.

I was disappointed he hadn't even complimented me on how nice I looked tonight. Displaying a beige and gold dress that my mother had gotten me for my birthday, I thought this was a sure winner to grab his attention. Then unexpectedly he motioned me to dance with him. It was about damn time!

Resuming our last dance position only a few inches apart, Aaron's eyes were now stuck on me.

"You look outstanding. Please tell me that's for me." He spoke in a soft deep voice.

I smirked; he was so full of himself. Even though, yes, it was for him.

"About that night…I just wanted to apologize for leaving like that." I fessed up.

"It's alright. I think I might have an idea of what that was about. But…I need to talk to you about something."

He held on to my hand as we walked out of the facility. It had turned into a cool evening with the sunset and the scent of the ocean. Some winds had picked up compelling Aaron to remove his blazer and place it over my shoulders. His hands clasped the jacket together, slightly tugging me towards him. I couldn't help how doe-eyed and defenseless I became under his influence.

"I know things have been kind of up in the air with us, due to many things. We claim to be friends, though we haven't had a chance to spend some solid time together. I'm leaving in two days to Hawaii, and I was hoping to see you more this summer but it doesn't look that way now. Maybe the timing is just off…I adore you Brynn and I don't want to lose you. But I think the best thing for right now is that we stay friends for a while."

"You're right." as much as it pained me to agree with him.

It turns out that this would be the last time I would see him before he left. He already had all his bags packed in his dorm room. How sad was this? Finally when I thought we were both ready; life just kept getting in the way...growing up gets in the way. It's not like he could throw it all away to spend time watching me make sundaes. Aaron then bent down to kiss my forehead, my arms latched around his waist. I didn't want to let him go. He looked down and seemed equally miserable.

"I'm afraid to kiss you…"

"It never stopped you before." I smiled.

His hand gently held on to the back of my neck. I hated that this seemed more like a goodbye kiss, regardless if he was coming back or not. It was bittersweet and lovely. It wasn't as fiery as the other ones we've had. The moment needed to be savored, so that we could hold on to it till his return. For the rest of the night, we sat glued next to each other. He laughed and chatted with anyone who demanded his attention. Meanwhile beneath the table, he held on tightly to my hand, caressing and playing with my fingers. I missed him already.