Second Chances

My phone rang. Isaiah's name was blinking on the screen.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Hey meet me out in the front will ya?"

"Okay?" I hung up.

What was this about? I grabbed my jean jacket from the locker and swung my brown bag on my shoulder. Rushing out to the school's front entrance I spotted Isaiah talking with a friend, leaning on the rail. He must have heard the clack of my boots approaching for he quickly turned around.

Both of them wearing shades, when I got a second look at his friend, as he slowly took off his sunglasses, my heart did a quick summersault.

"Well I have to go meet up with Lilah, but I'll catch you later." Isaiah gave a bro-like handshake then turned to send me a wink before walking off.

"Hey Brynn."

"How are you Aaron?" I paused before responding.

"Wondering what I'm doing here but other than that I'm good."

"Are you not here to see Elizabeth?"

"Elizabeth, right...no I'm not here to see Ana."

It was awkward but I was still glad to see him. I shook my head in anticipation of what else he might say, for I hadn't a clue.

"Are you busy? Am I interrupting anything or do you have a minute?" He asked carefully.

"No, I'm good." I motioned over to the cement bench that stood only a few feet away.

I sat neatly tucking my peach knee-length dress under my thighs. I put on my jacket as well and listened to the silent words that remained in his head and seemed so hard to vocalize. He looked at me differently. Not like the first time we sat at a park bench or the time at the beach when I was with Jordan. But it was almost as if he were seeing me as...a woman.

His arm lay on the back rest, rubbing his forehead while the other remained upon his knee. Then he slid his hand to rest atop of his mouth; giving me that look again.

"Can I say that you look great!" He started.

"Thank you. But how are YOU?"

"I feel like an idiot but it won't be the first or last time I suppose." He seemed indecisive and I found it hard to read him.

"No classes today?"

"Not till next week thankfully. So how have you been? It's been so long."

"I'm doing great. I mean school couldn't be better. My mom is good too. Friends, well... you know both of them."

"Yeah Lilah is pretty fond of you. And Isaiah... he's a good guy."

"Weird huh, it's like you guys are better friends than we are. How Ironic." I commented.

"Definitely ironic." He chuckled. "Now that you mentioned it, I was wondering...if we could put everything behind us and start over...as friends."

Ooh, those words. To have Aaron back in my life, that's what I've wanted all along. But now that I've moved on...was I ready? I know that there were questions lingering in the air, and eventually they would be answered. We didn't have to fill in all the blanks right at this moment, but the steps to forgive and forget were there for the taking.

"I'd like that. And I'm sure Lilah would too."

"I KNOW she would! She doesn't stop raving about you or Isaiah for that matter...You know what Brynn? What I really WANT is a second chance" Aaron's feelings burst.