nine | an eye for an eye

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠: 𝐁𝐞𝐚 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫 - 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 ( 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 + 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐛 )

17 years ago . . .

She was screaming.

Donatella Morelli was screaming from pain and happiness. From agony and joy.

At 11.24 pm on the cold night of January 24th, she brought to the world a beautiful 3-pound baby-

"It's a boy!" The doctor said with a tone full of surprise and yet disbelief was written on his features.

The baby's cry was echoing in the room and tears of pure unconditional love and joy started running from the beautiful hazel eyes of Donatella as a nurse brought the baby to his mother's embrace.

She looked at him with such love only a mother could understand.

The sad thing was that no one expected what came next.

During this whole labor, her screams weren't the only ones.

The door.

Gunshots and yelling and screams were sounding beyond the closed door.

But she didn't feel unsure. Her husband, her king, her other half, the one and only Cillian Enzo Morelli was out there protecting her and their other 3 children. Roman, Seraphina, and Leonardo.

You see being part of the most powerful mafia in Italy had its ups and it's downs.

They were attacked unexpectedly, due to a large snow shipment that took place that same day. No one expected that Donatella would give birth as well.

It was too early.

Only halfway through the seventh month, at thirty weeks it was too early.

And no one saw the other.

The door burst open and as a result, a scream tore through Donatella's throat as her hug tightened around the young infant.

A shadow lurked inside the room. But only managed to take a single step before a crimson droplet touched the ground and a round hole appeared on his forehead between his brows. And the body fell.

What did the man expect?

The Morellis were always prepared.

Cillian came in a hurry close to his wife still laying on the bed.

He fell to his knees, a gesture he only did to his queen, and kissed her forehead.

"I love you" he whispered looking around at his beautiful wife and then his son.

"I love you more" she replied and he smiled in response. His blue and yellow-rimmed eyes glistened with happiness. Those eyes were rare. Those eyes were the Morelli's eyes. Every child had them too.

With their foreheads touching they both looked at their baby.

"Do you want to hold him?" Donatella asked and Cillian nodded reaching to his son.

"Hey buddy," he said being careful with his hands.

Those were designed to kill not to cuddle as weird as it may sound.

But that didn't stop him from embracing yet another precious son. "I will not let anything happen to you. I promise" he spoke and turned to his wife whose eyes were glancing at them.

Her blue eyes were focused on them. But slowly they were losing their lust. A grayish coat was forming on top.

"What is happening?" Cillian asked above the beeping sound of the machine behind him, not paying attention to the doctor and the nurses as they rushed to do their jobs.

He came closer to his wife caressing her hair away from her face. Trying to make her focus on him. But her eyes were blurry. Unseeing. Dead. His wife was slowly slipping away.

The baby in his arm started crying and a nurse came closer to take him.

"Donna?" He shook her shoulders, her eyes flattered open and she held his hand."Donna!" He shouted. "Donna pleas-"

A baby's cry echoed in the room.

And the baby girl was brought to her mother's embrace. 

Accalia she named her.

But their joy was short-lived. 

Donatella's eyes closed for the last time. With the image of her little girl and her husband as the last.

Cillian turned to the doctor who had a sad dreading expression on his face.

"There... there was nothing we could do" the doctor said "The ultrasounds showed only one baby. Her heart due to complications gave out. I'm sorry." They only had time to save the baby.

"No, she can't be dead"

𖤓

"Take her away from me!" Cillian almost screamed when a nurse brought him his daughter.

Reluctantly the nurse took the baby girl to the nearby room where her twin was sleeping in his crib along with her other siblings in the nearby rooms. The attack was over.

The nurse laid her next to her twin brother and looked at them so precious, so priceless together. Little did the small baby girl know that it would be the last time she would be close to her biological family.

𖤓

Cillian was holding his dead wife all night in his arms.

The pain and distress he was feeling were overwhelming.

He was angry at her for leaving him. But he was angrier at himself. At the promise, he didn't keep.

It was an arranged marriage the one between Donatella and Cillian but the truth was that even in the mafia love at first sight could happen. Or in their case, it was more like soul recognition.

He promised to love her.

He promised to cherish her.

He promised to protect her.

But he failed.

She was taken too early. Her death- unfair. And the fault was of that child.

He held his late wife close to his heart.

The gunshots from outside eased some time ago. Of course, they won, but he lost so much more.

Something morphed inside him. His heart went cold and darker than ever.

An eye for an eye.

That was his only thought.

He stood up and walked to the nearby room and the last gunshot of the night echoed through the whole house.

But it echoed louder in the unhealed void of his heart.

𖤓

hi

*waves nervously*

I'm in a severe reading slump after reading Binding and Keeping 13...

GIMME RECOMMENDATIONS I BEG OF YOU!!!

(the next two books arrive next month)

do I regret not buying all four at the same time? YES, YES, I DO!

see ya next Friday <3