Ch. 71 - THE LAST CHIMERA

Wren's outfit:

+ Hospital Gown

+ Hospital Gown

Chapter Seventy-One
🌒 The Last Chimera 🌘

"Tell me where you are, Wren. Tell me what you see." Valack said as Wren was visioning herself walking through a river.
"The bridge..." She trailed off slightly, "Keep moving. Describe what you find. Tell me what he did." Valack said as he took a piece of gauze and presses it to the still-bleeding trephination wound he drilled in her head, just above her ear.

"Stay focused, Wren." Valack said and Wren didn't make an movement besides blinking, "What did you do to me?" She asked in a slight whisper. "I've amplified your abilities. Something that might just save the lives of your friends. Now, focus on the bridge. On Theo. Why did he let his sister die?"

"I don't know..."

"You don't see it yet. Search for it, Wren. Keep looking. Why did he let her die? What did he want?" Valack asked as Wren slowly walked through the river, towards that bridge.

Suddenly, Theo's sister pops out of the water, grabbing Wren by the wrist making Wren gasp and jump slightly. When Theo's sister stands at her full height, Wren's eyes widen when she sees that her chest has been punched open, leaving her ribs broken and a gaping hole right in the middle.

"Her heart. He wanted her heart." Wren said and Valack quickly grabbed a medical chart off of the nearby table and flips through it, quickly skimming the pages. "There's no record of a heart condition... But a transplant would make Theo a genetic chimera like the others." He said and Wren's premonition flashed back to when Theo's sister fell into the creek. She weakly turned back to Theo who was standing on the bridge, watching as she held her hand out to him, "Theo..."

"The hypothermic conditions would keep the organ viable..." Valack said and then the premonition flashed to where young Theo was strapped to the exam table in the Dread Doctors' operating theater. The Pathologist picks up Theo's sister's heart and prepares to transplant it into Theo's body. The Surgeon picks up a scalpel and cuts open the fully-conscious Theo's chest.

"But why him? Why choose a ten-year-old willing to kill his own sister?" Valack asked and Wren slowly looked over at him with a distant glare, "Why do you care?" She asked making him look at her. "Because Theo was the first step in the right direction for the Dread Doctors. Think of who they are- parascientists who have prolonged their lives and twisted the laws of nature in pursuit of one goal: the creation of the perfect killer. And now they've done it." Valack said and Wren shook her head slightly.

"But Theo doesn't know who the success is... the last Chimera..." She mumbled, "It doesn't matter. There's a reason they chose him, a reason he failed, a reason why they changed their methods, and a reason they finally succeeded. It all starts with Theo." He said.