A tough choice.

Sam ran upstairs to his room where he could finally think in peace without having his facial expressions read by Ms. ICanReadYourMind downstairs.

This was good. He has the basic outline of a plan, obtain Alastor's trust and try to escape or use the curtain/sheets rope idea. What are the pros and cons of each? Well the pros to the trust idea are: Alastor wouldn't keep his eyes on them 24 hours, 7 days a week. Also a little more freedom sounds nice. The cons are: It would take much more time, plus this is a serial killer he's talking about, and this idea might not work. Alastor could catch on to what he's trying to do and close his trust off again.

The pros of the rope idea are: It would take much less time and they could leave whenever they wanted, it's a lot more safe because if they go at night Alastor wouldn't know because unless he's watching specifically where they do it he won't be able to see them. The cons are: It might seem suspicious if sheets and curtains start going missing, Edith might be too afraid or incapable of climbing down two stories on a makeshift rope.

Great. Now he's got the pros and cons. Now the question is which one seems like the better option? Trying to get Alastor to trust him could take who knows how long and the rope is very risky but it'll be faster therefore there's less risk of what is to happen to them from the time they start with the plan to the time of escape so that definitely seems like a good plan.

So then it's settled. He's going to use the rope idea to climb out of one of the windows. He just needs to find out which one and what he's going to use for the rope.

While thinking so deeply he managed to grow tired and the world around him seemed to turn to a blur around him. Every sound slowly started fading and all the lights started going out until finally he fell into a peaceful sleep.

~

His mother was in front of him in a wooden rocking chair, holding something swaddled in a pink blanket. He was overjoyed to say the least. The excitement was coursing through his veins fast and not halting for anything.

"Her name is Edith, Sam. She's your new baby sister." Sam's mother said, showing her new 5 day old baby to her 8 year old son.

He smiled and rubbed her head with his hand. She was so tiny and small. Edith looked back at him with a blank expression, you'd think she was dead if it weren't for her little chest rising and falling with every breath that filled her lungs.

She was perfect.

"Do you want to hold her?" The woman asked. The boy smiled brightly, nodding and holding his arms out.

His mother bent down and positioned his hands correctly before putting her baby into his arms. "Be sure to support her neck and head dear." She instructed before leaning back in her chair and holding her husband's hand who was standing right behind her with his hand on her shoulder. Sam rearranged his arms to do so. He was enjoying this. Having his sister in his arms was an amazing feeling! He's been waiting for this moment for over nine months!

"Now Sam, having a younger sister will mean you have lots more responsibilities now. You'll have to learn to protect her from danger and you'll have to help your mother and myself with the task of taking care of her. She'll need to be loved and supported properly. Do you think you can handle all of that?" His father asked with a serious tone.

Sam looked at his sibling closely, she looked at him with the same blank expression she had before. She needed guidance. He could give her that guidance. It was his duty as her older brother to give her such guidance. He smiled at her with a soft, warm smile. She returned the smile by focusing intently on his face. She didn't know who he was yet but she will in due time.