Family.

The giggles of a little girl rang through the parlor, echoing through the rest of the house.

"Tell another one! Tell another one!" Edith laughed.

Alastor smiled brightly. "Very well! Let's see... Ah! Here's one! Dearest Edith, tell me. Can February March?"

The girl giggled quietly, her white teeth shining brightly through her wide smile. "I-I don't know, can it?"

"No, but April May!" Alastor delivered confidently, laughing sprightly afterwards, Edith being quick to join him, laughing hysterically at the joke.

"You have so many!"

Alastor died down his laughter, putting his hand in front of his chest, pridefully. "It's quite the skill, my dear! Being a radio host helps of course! I need to entertain my audience after all!"

"You're good at that! I wish I was..." Edith said, putting her head down slightly.

The man ran his fingers through his hair. "Now now, don't worry, darling. I wasn't good at much either when I was your age. Practice always makes perfect. I can't name very many people who were good at something without practicing immensely first."

Edith tilted her head. "What does emensely mean?" She asked.

Alastor chuckled slightly. "Immensely. Immensely means a lot. Practicing immensely means you practice a lot. A great amount."

"Wow! You know a bunch! I only know how to read, not that well either..."

The man seemed surprised by such a comment. "Hm? Well, I rather disagree. From what Mimzy and Rosie have told me, before you even had their help you already knew how to read. Quite good for a young lady your age as well."

Edith smiled timidly. "Mommy taught me how to read. Sammy helped a little too."

"Do you enjoy reading?"

"I liked it because mommy would let me sit on her lap and hug me tight if I read right..." Edith's tone slowly lowered as she spoke. She put her head down when she was finished, remembering being at home with her parents.

Alastor's eyes narrowed but his smile was still bright. Before he could respond, the girl put her head back up. "Does Mommy and Daddy not love me anymore?" She asked, tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

The man felt an unfamiliar pain in his chest. Not a sharp pain or a muscle ache, something different. Something he could only name but not describe, not properly at least.

"I don't think they don't love you. Why would you think that?" Alastor asked, tilting his head slightly.

"They left us."

That single sentence was enough for Alastor to understand what he was feeling and what that pain in his chest is, heartbreak, but not only heartbreak, anger too.

He understands the struggle of the crisis in the stock market, but how could two parents leave their two very kind and well-behaved children simply abandoned on the streets like mangy street rats?! If the two didn't stumble upon him, who knows what could have happened to them! Children aren't just objects that you can just throw away! They're vulnerable beings that need to be protected. Especially the tiny little maiden sitting in front of him. Her brother could have been fine but not her. No. Not her.