Night terror.

"What's the story, Thomas?" The lead detective asked his underling.

Thomas stood in front of his superior's desk, sweat pooling at his temples. "H-He didn't show up, sir."

The lead detective rubbed the bridge of his nose in frustration. "What do you mean 'he didn't show up'?" In his hands was a file with the name 'Smile Killer' typed on the front of it. The file was small. There wasn't much evidence to put in it.

"He didn't show up sir. Our squads waited in the forest for hours." The blonde haired man responded. "We had to give up the operation when the hounds became too hungry to focus properly. Just like the last two times."

The lead groaned angrily and slumped back in his chair.

"Sir, why can't we just go to Mr. Ellsworth's house?"

"What are ya, dim?! We already have, you nitwit! He's never been home when we came, never at his workplace when we went!" The lead's voice raised. "Besides, there's not enough evidence against him to make an arrest. The son of a bitch is smart. He's avoiding us. He had to have been tipped off that we've been waiting for him in the forest. He always seems to know where we are going to be."

"How do we know he's been tipped off about us being in the forest? There have been other circumstances where the killer has taken a pause. What if this is one of those instances, sir?"

Another groan of frustration seeped from the lead detective's vocal cords. The police have been under lots of pressure to catch this serial killer for years, tensions were growing.

"Very well, I suppose you do have a point. The longest the smile killer's ever paused his killing spree was a week. We will give it that long before we back off and go back to the drawing board." He said, putting the file back into its place in the filing cabinet on his right. "Tomorrow we'll go back into the forest to wait again. If he doesn't show, we'll do it again. He's already murdered 203 of our citizens. He's stopping at 204. There will be NO 205. He will be rotting in our prison cells or facing God's judgement before then. Failure is not an option!"

~

Edith was having a nightmare.

She doesn't know it, but she is.

Though, this one is... unusual. Peculiar even...

She was having a nightmare, but she couldn't see it. She didn't understand what was happening. All she could feel was the fright as she rolled around in her sleep.

Suddenly her fear turned to relief as she shot up in her bed, wiping away the beads of sweat from her temples.

"Sa-" she began to shout for her brother before stopping herself.

She remembered how tired Sam had looked the previous day and thought it would be best not to wake him up. He looked really tired.

Though, she wanted to be comforted. Her heart was still pounding and her eyes were still wide with tears.

~

Alastor's eyes opened gently as the dark room around him came into focus. A light knock at his door had woken him up.

Knowing this was a rare occurrence, Alastor swiftly made his way to the door of his bedroom. When he opened it, his eyes landed on the frightened expression of the young lady he cared for.

"Edith?" He spoke, his voice tired. "Whatever could be the matter at this hour? Did you have a night terror, darling?"

The brunette wiped the tears from her eyes as she nodded her head in response.