Education and another to deal with.

The morning came rather slow for Alastor. After he had finished writing his notes down it was around 2 in the morning, giving him about 2 hours before he had to be up so he went to sleep.

Waking up was not easy, which was certainly strange. Alastor didn't normally have any sort of trouble waking up. It was falling asleep that normally troubled him. Still he got himself up and got dressed with a white button-up dress shirt, a grey vest, black dress pants, and red sleeve garters. He styled his hair, brushed his teeth and put on his spectacles, ready for the day.

He went downstairs and prepared breakfast for himself and the two children he has in his care. He handcrafted the two some rice krispies cereal and shredded some wheat for himself. He was not the biggest fan of sweet things. Though, he knew children were.

After preparing that for himself, he went to go and wake up Edith and Samuel. When he entered Edith's room it wasn't a surprise that Sam was there as well. The boy still doesn't seem to trust him after all so this was to be expected.

When looking around he saw the boy sleeping on the bed but to the right was the girl sitting on a chair, already dressed in a white blouse and light blue skirt, reading a book. Or- trying to anyway.

She looked up and smiled upon seeing Alastor. He smiled back at her and walked over to her. She was reading a book entitled, "Moonfleet". He knew she got it from his library as he knew he had that. It was one of his favorite books to read as a child. It was published in 1898 by an author named J. Meade Falkner. It was an interesting fictional tale about a shipwreck in England.

Though, Alastor knew a little girl like her would have trouble reading a book like that.

"Do you find that book interesting, my dear?" He asked her.

She nodded in response. "It's okay. I don't really understand the story of it though. I can't read it very well."

And he was right.

"Do you know how to read properly?" Alastor asked curiously.

She shook her head 'no'. "Mom tried to teach me how to read sometimes but never really continued. That's what Sam said at least." She explained.

Alastor thought to himself for a second. Interesting she's five and can't exactly read yet. She's not behind or ahead when it comes to her age, but she will be behind if she doesn't learn such skills soon. "Have you gone to school yet darling?" Once more the girl shook her head to the question.

"Hmm... " Alastor said, "Well then, we'll have to see what can be done about that later. Why don't you come with me and have breakfast while we wait for Samuel to awaken." He suggested, holding out his hand for her to take. She nodded and took his hand, walking with him down the two flights of stairs and into the dining hall. He sat her down and disappeared into the kitchen, coming back with a bowl and a cup. Inside the bowl was her cereal and in the cup was a glass of milk.

"Thank you!" She exclaimed happily before chowing down.

"You are very welcome." Alastor said before grabbing a newspaper off of a small wall table and began reading while eating his own breakfast. It wasn't long before Samuel came downstairs. When he did, the silence between the two was intense.

Edith didn't notice much. Though, she was able to feel the tension in the air around her. Her eyes gradually shifted from Alastor to Samuel from time to time, trying to see if one would talk to the other and break the harsh atmosphere- but atlas neither did.

Alastor didn't even look at Sam. He just kept his eyes on his newspaper, his pupils shifting from left to right as he read. The headline read, "COPS FIND CLUE TO SMILE KILLER IDENTITY!" with a deck underneath that read, "Lantern found at crime scene!"