Unfortunate.

Alastor entered the dining room and set up two places at the table before he heard the door open and saw the tiny girl he'd been taking care of timidly walk in, concern laced over her face, almost like that of a lost child separated from their parent.

The man turned and looked at her with a bright smile on his face. "Good morning, little fawn! I hope you had swell dreams!" He said sprightly.

"W-Where's Sam? He w-wasn't upstairs." She stuttered, the concern on her face leaking into her voice.

"Ah, yes! Not to worry! Samuel is downstairs right now." Alastor spoke without hesitation. He had already come up with an excuse to explain the teen's absence a while ago.

Edith tilted her head slightly. "Why is he there? Isn't he hungry?" She asked.

The man smiled brighter. "Well darling, before you had woken up, your brother had come down and expressed how he was feeling under the weather." Al explained. "He had quite the fever so we both decided it would be best for him to distance himself from you and I until he feels better."

"Oh.." The girl said inaudibly, trembling ever-so slightly as she took her seat.

This would be the first time Sam ever stayed away from her. Whenever one of them was sick, the other would act sick so the other wouldn't feel bad. The only times they've ever been apart were when Alastor would bring her to work or to run errands with him and even then she always saw her brother that morning as well and they had gotten to interact before they split.

Not today though. Today they had been split up before Edith had even woken up leaving her feeling a feeling she hasn't felt in a while, one she doesn't know how to describe let alone find the proper name of.

"Edith?" Alastor said as though he had been trying to gain her attention.

She shook her head and looked up at the man who had finally obtained her attention and placed a plate of food in front of her.

As Alastor took his seat next to her he studied the way she was moving. She looked tense. Almost like Sam normally is but not exactly like him. Her kind of tense looked different. Unlike her brother who was tense in a fight or flight kind of way, she was tense in a 'I don't know what to do now' kind of way. Unsure of herself and her surroundings. A drastic change from her teenaged counterpart.

Keeping Edith in his peripheral vision, Alastor read a newspaper whose headline read:

"Gunshots reported in local forest; no bodies or blood found"

It's become a habit of his to take much caution in reading every piece of news he comes across not only because he was a radio host but also because he didn't want anyone getting close to discovering the identity of the serial killer they've been hunting.

But this time, he couldn't seem to keep himself focused on the story he was reading. Every few seconds he found himself looking towards the little girl sat to his left. She was hardly eating only picked at her food with her fork. She seemed melancholy and Alastor knew why.

If someone were to ask him how he felt about this, he wouldn't be able to give a direct answer. Though, he has grown rather fond of Edith and can't say he enjoys seeing her so glum. If he did, it'd be a lie.

"Don't worry, darling." The man said, folding his newspaper and placing it next to him. "I promise you that Samuel will be feeling better soon. In the meantime, do give your best effort in eating." The girl nodded slightly, picking up part of her food and eating it.

Throughout the rest of the morning, it was an unfortunate silence. Any chatter was kept to a minimum. Though, Alastor continued to watch Edith's behavior. Her tension loosened as the time ticked on but she was still uneasy. She seemed lost without her brother by her side.