First Birthday

October 1990

It's the 1st of October and Brian and Anita are putting up the last few decorations for Alyssia first birthday party.

Freddie is already there with Jim and Joe, Freddie's cook since they kindly agreed to help Anita with the food for the party.

"Right, that is the last of the birthday banners," Brian walks into the kitchen where Anita is talking to Jim.

"No balloons?" Jim queries plating up the last of the sandwiches.

"No!" Anita and Brian reply in unison.

Anita then elaborates, "Alyssia is absolutely terrified of balloons since one popped next to her at Rory's birthday in May."

"Speaking of," Brian looks around the room in case he's missed her, "Is the birthday girl still napping?"

"No, Freddie went up to wake her and get her dressed, apparently he has to make sure she looks perfect for her first birthday. You'd think he was her dad," Anita doesn't mind really.

They all know that Freddie is deteriorating quickly and besides going to the studio he doesn't leave the lodge much anymore, so if he enjoys spending time with Alyssia, she's not going to stop him.

Brian's eyes widen at the thought, "I'd best go and save her in case he's trying to put a ridiculously big bow on her."

He races upstairs to the nursery, not really concerned but stops at the door hearing Freddie's voice but he's not in the room. Trying to listen he tiptoes through the room to the door of the adjoined bathroom finding a rather adorable sight.

Freddie has sat Alyssia on the countertop in front of the mirror. He's supporting her so she doesn't fall off and brushing her hair, talking to her softly, "Now you see these curls, Lissy, these curls are beautiful. Some people when you're in high school might tease you for them and you might get annoyed because they're hard to tame but whatever you do, don't straighten them."

Brian keeps his eyes on Alyssia's reflection the entire time, he expected her to be messing with the things around her or not really listening but she is listening. The entire time Freddie is talking, she has her eyes trained on him through the mirror, listening to his every word.

"Your dad did that. When I first met him, his curls were just starting to reform. I asked him why he had straightened them in the first place and he told me it was because people made fun of him but look at him now, legendary guitarist and songwriter for the worlds biggest band and his hair is iconic." Freddie brushes her curls one last time then pins gold crown pins into each side of her hair, holding the curls back from her eyes.

"These curls make you unique in a good way, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. If anyone makes fun of you, you tell your dad and Uncle Roger and they'll sort them out. I'll do what I can from up above." Freddie's voice become a little choked up.

He clears his throat and looks back at the birthday girl, "Right, my little princess," He lifts her off the side, giving her a full mirror view of her outfit.