Winter Olympics 2006

Happy birthday to Adam Lambert!!!

Alyssia and Victoria have been in Turin, Italy for two days and Brian and Anita are at home watching the opening ceremony, with Roger, who came over unannounced.

The Olympic athletes have just started walking through the stadium country by country, at the same time Alyssia and Victoria are in the back area with Team GB waiting for their turn to walk through.

It's a surreal moment for them to be stood amongst some well known Olympic athletes and compete as part of Team GB for their country. Japan are next up and then it's their turn.

When Team GB walk and Anita sees Alyssia in her Olympic tracksuit beside Victoria, she gets a little emotional, reaching for a tissue. She always prayed that this day would come for her daughter, but there have been many times when she thought it wouldn't happen.

Brian holds back the same emotion, squeezing his wife's hand and muttering so only she can hear, "Our baby is an Olympic athlete."

"She's come a long way since the first time she stepped on the ice," Roger smiles thinking back to when Rory helped Alyssia around the ice that first time but in truth, she didn't need help, she...

"She was born to skate," Brian finishes the drummer's thought without knowing it. He's never known anyone else at that age be able to skate and not have been on the ice at least once before.

------

Ten days pass and the girls spent most of their time either watching events or exploring the city. The evening is drawing in and they are currently waiting at the airport for their friends and family to arrive.

The pair weren't paying much attention to the airport gate, they were lost in conversation until Alyssia's name is called, "Lissy!" She turns from Victoria in time to see Lola running towards her.

She picks up the blonde five-year-old once she's close enough and hugs her tight, "Blimey, you've grown, you're getting heavy." She has a good relationship with the youngest Taylor, all of the Taylor's for that matter but her connection with Lola is special, maybe it's because she's the only one she knew from a baby.

"Am not," Lola frowns, looking an awful lot like Roger in his younger days.

"Hmm... if you say so," She blows a raspberry on her cheek making her squeal then puts her down hugging Tigerlily in the process. Roger gives her a quick hug then so do Brian and Anita.

"Your smart, you can skate, you can play two instruments and your good with kids, is there anything you can do?" Toby pecks her cheek, slipping his hand into hers.

"Um... cook," She is a rubbish cook, "It's a good job there's a food court here or I would have starved by now."

"Dear God," Anita facepalms, "We are fixing that when you get home."

"It's alright, love, Roger is still alive and he can't cook," It is truly a wonder to Brian that his best mate has survived this long.

"That's a lie," Roger defends himself, "I can cook, pasta and rice. But I believe the microwave exists for those that cannot cook."

They take one of the transport buses to their hotel, which is a ten-minute walk from the Olympic village Alyssia and Victoria have been living in for the past ten days.

After meeting up for dinner, they all head to bed wanting to be well-rested for Alyssia and Victoria's first event tomorrow.

------

The short program, their first event, goes well for both of them ending the short program with Victoria is in 6th place and Alyssia is in 4th place just 0.70 points behind the Japan skater in 3rd place. But as they suspected, the competition is tough Russia, USA and Japan are the skaters to beat.