The Future

So work let me go home early since I'm in the rest of the week.

While waiting for Mr Harwood to arrive, Alyssia and Victoria warm up quietly. Katie waves them back over when he arrives, "Sorry I'm late, I got stuck in traffic. I see you girls are already warming up, so let's start with the assessment and go from there. Alyssia, you first, please."

He goes through everything starting with the basics, working the way up through the levels they learnt before starting professionally, "Good, you made that look easy," He writes down his notes then continues.

"Now, I want you to make up a routine on the spot that would meet competition requirements. The purpose of this is to know that if for a reason you suddenly forget your routine, believe me, I've seen it happen, that you could still go out there a skate."

Alyssia nods along, taking a moment to collect herself then does as she's told after picking a song to skate to.

While she skates, Brian tries to see over Mr Harwood's shoulder to find out what he's writing about his daughter, to no avail, "Very good, I'm impressed. Victoria, your turn, if you'd like to warm yourself back up."

Victoria swaps places with her friend and Alyssia joins her parents.

After Victoria repeats the same steps Mr Harwood put Alyssia through, he sits the girls down and talks about moving forward, "I saw you both compete in Regionals in August then again at Sectionals and Nationals, I'm glad I followed your progress. You two girls have talent, Lissy you're very determined and passionate when you skate, there's an attitude and effortless power to your routines in a good way. Vicky, you're much softer, elegant and graceful, you find an emotional attachment to the music you pick. Everyone's skating style is different but those are ultimately the two sides, soft and graceful or powerful and passionate."

"You'll both be a great asset to Team GB at the Olympics. However, the way of getting onto the team has changed. You have to compete at the Olympic qualifiers in August 2005 before the Winter Olympics in February 2006. So, you will skate at the European Championships in January held in Budapest and the World Championships in March held in Dortmund, Germany to get you girls used to the bigger scale competitions. The following year you'll do both competitions again depending on how you place this year, plus the Olympic qualifiers."

"Will you be their trainer from now on?" Jodie asks it would be sad for the girls to leave Katie when she's gotten them this far, but if it's what needs to be done then they won't argue with it.

"No, Katie will remain your trainer for as long as you both skate or until she's had enough, whichever comes first. She knows how you girls work and she knows your history, I will work alongside her to help you girls reach Olympic standards."

Katie was obviously aware of this information because she doesn't look at all surprised, "I've got you this far haven't I? I'm not going anywhere."

"I will be looking for your sponsors over the coming weeks and inform Katie and your parents once they're sorted," It's a lot of information to process but they can now skate at a professional level and eventually start earning money for medals that they win.

------

"Have you two decided what you're going as for the Halloween party yet?" Zoe asks walking to school on the last day before half term.

One of the guys in their year is having a Halloween party and has invited most of the school, "No, I can't decide?" Victoria has been searching for the past week and has more than one idea in mind.

"I have an idea," Alyssia was listening to Queen music last night and the idea popped into her head, "It will be a group costume of sorts."

She explains her idea and the girls love it, a week later the trio is getting ready at Alyssia's house, "You three nearly ready to go?" Anita knocks on Alyssia's bedroom to check on them, "Roger is leaving in a few minutes so he said he can give you a lift there if you want it?"