Run

January 1994

Manhattan

Emma has been staying the night at the Jacobs flat, Mrs Boynton went into labour yesterday and had to go to the hospital.

When Erin and Emma get back from school the next day, Adriaane is already home. Emma goes home to meet her new little sister then later Erin and Tina pop round to meet her.

"Come meet my new sister," Emma whispers, grabbing Erin's hand and pulling her over to the bassinet where her sister is sleeping.

"She's so small," Erin mutters, "What's her name?"

"Lucy," Adriaane informs her, "Would you like to hold her?"

Erin bites her lip nervously but nods then sits on the sofa with Emma next to her. Adriaane lowers Lucy into her arms and Erin beams, "I wish you were my sister too."

"We can both be her sister," Emma decides, being a big sister is a big responsibility and she's going to need some help.

"Ooo okay." Over the next couple of days when Tina picks the girls up from school, Erin goes with Emma to see Lucy.

Saturday comes around and Erin is back at her skating lessons, she's advanced quicker than most. This is her third semester and she's already on Basic Level 3. Every coach that has taught Erin so far has told Tina that she's a natural who could go far in the figure skating world if she applies herself.

Today's lesson was just finishing up when Tina noticed the woman who's been staring at her and Erin for the past few months, take a photo of Erin then makes her way over to Tina.

But instead of sitting beside or in front of Tina, the woman sits behind and starts to talk, keeping her voice to whisper, "Your little girl, Erin, is it? I know who she really is, your sick in the head, taking a baby from her true mother. You can be assured that I will be calling the police when I get home."

As soon as Erin steps off the ice, Tina grabs their things telling Erin she can change out of her skates in the car.

"Mama, what's going on?" Erin stands at her mum bedroom door as Tina pulls out a suitcase and starts packing.

"We're leaving Erin. You remember I told you there might be people following us," She nods and Tina continues, "Well I was right, there are people after you, wanting to take you away so we have to leave to keep you safe, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good girl. Go grab your backpack and put in it anything to want to take with you, we haven't got long so we can't take everything." Tina waits for Erin to leave the room then grabs her phone making the necessary calls. After that, she goes to Erin's room takes out her suitcase and fills it.

Once the bags are packed Tina and Erin flee down to the car, "Can't I say goodbye to Emma?" Erin frowns.

"No, we have to go, Erin. I'm sorry sweety, there's just no time, get in the car please." Tina can hear sirens in the distance and shoves the cases in, "We have to make a stop before leaving the city."

Tina drives as quickly as possible without drawing the attention of any police. As they reach the outskirts of the city they stop at a garage, "Stay in the car," Tina orders.

Erin does as she's told but whines her window down a small amount to try and hear what's going on. She can hear her mum but not the man she's talking to, "Is the house ready?"

"Hyde Park, Dutchess County, good. Yeah, it's perfect, nice and quiet."

"Is that the car?" Tina points to a nearby black Range rover.