Championships

March 2004

The European Championships in January went well, though they didn't get a medal, they did come fourth and fifth. Considering how many countries and skaters they were up against, it's a good position for their first big competition.

Tomorrow is the start of the World Championships and Alyssia arrived in Dortmund yesterday with her parents, Victoria, Jodie and Katie. To save them any bother at the airport, Brian offered the use of Queen's private jet.

At the hotel, they check into their rooms. Anita, Brian and Alyssia are in one room, Victoria and Jodie in another then Katie has a room to herself.

Having spent most of yesterday resting when they arrived, the girls are now on their way to the rink for their allocated practice slot and to get a feel for the ice. While they're working through their routines, Katie gathers the information they need.

At dinner that evening, she goes through what she knows and the schedules, "These are your schedules, the first ladies competition is in three days which is the qualifying round. With some many skaters, it's split randomly into two groups, A and B. Vicky, you're in group B and your time slot is 11am. Lissy, you're in group A and your time slot is 3pm. Top 30 advance to the next round, the short program skate."

Katie paused taking a sip of her drink while the waiter brings their food out and then continues, "The short program is in five days, top 24 advance to the final round, the free skate which is in on the last day." It's a very similar set-up to the European Championships though they didn't have a qualifying round.

With two days to kill, Alyssia and Victoria spend their first day doing some sightseeing, their parents permit them to go off on their own for the day.

Brian has a surprise planned for Alyssia, for which he needs Anita and Jodie's help, so she needs to be out the way.

Victoria is aware of what the surprise is and she can't wait to see Alyssia's reaction. She keeps her promise to Brian to keep Alyssia distracted until he sends a message to meet them.

It's nearing 3 o'clock when they get the message and they head back to the hotel, "Did you girls have a good time?" Jodie asks once they arrive.

"Done some shopping I see?" Anita adds, spying the shopping bag in the girl's hands.

Nodding, Victoria pulls out the top she brought to show them, "We found a shop selling vintage clothing and brought a couple of things."

"Where's dad?" Alyssia looks around the room not seeing him anywhere.

"He's down at reception sorting your surprise, I'm amazed you didn't bump into him."

Alyssia is so confused about what is going on, she has no idea why they're surprising her or what the surprise is, "I wish you would just tell me what's going on."

"But then it wouldn't be a surprise," Victoria interjects smirking.

"Wait... you know what it is?"

Before there's an answer Brian comes back in, "Ah... Lissy. Good timing, your surprise is ready."

He hands her a hotel key and she's even more confused, "The surprise is my own room?"

"No, but the room holds your surprise. Go and find the room that matches the key number," He nudges her out the door.

It didn't take much finding since it was the room opposite theirs, she swipes the key card and pushes the door open. Inside her surprise makes her tear up, Toby is standing in the middle of the room, his bag on the bed.