First Week Home

Ivy passed all her postnatal checks, so both mum and baby are discharged and allowed home the next morning.

Alyssia has never known Toby to be so cautious when driving home but once at home, Alyssia gets a feeling of dread in her chest not knowing what to do now.

With Ivy currently asleep, she lowers her daughter into the Moses basket and introduces Ivy to the cats.

The two cats take different approaches, Meddow stands on the arm of the sofa sniffing Ivy's hair and being inquisitive while Freddie climbs into the basket and cuddles into Ivy's side, enjoying the warmth.

"Who needs a guard dog when you have a guard cat?" Toby chuckles but it only gets a small smile from Alyssia.

He sits beside her taking her hands in his, "Talk to me."

"I'm worried I won't be a very good mum to Ivy," That feeling of dread is not subsiding, "I felt so confident in the hospital, getting her to breastfeed, changing her nappies and soothing her when she just needs a little attention or was tired, but I had Megan showing me what to do, to tell me if something was right, now..."

"Lissy, this is new to both of us. I've heard so many people say they had no idea what they were doing when they brought their first child home, but it's all about trial and error or natural instincts. We'll learn as we go and I promise I'll help you every step of the way," He is terrified too, but right now she doesn't need to know that.

She nods and he kisses her forehead, "I'll go make us some lunch."

Ivy starts to cry while Toby is in the kitchen, Alyssia checks her nappy, clean, so she under buttons her top to feed her. Toby comes back with their lunch and Alyssia is sat back on the sofa, Ivy cradled in her arms feeding happily, "See you know what you're doing for the basics, feed, change and sleep are the main three things, everything else will come over time."

Smiling, Alyssia takes her sandwich eating while she feeds, then pauses to burp Ivy and lays her back in the Moses basket to let her doze so she can finish her lunch.

After that Alyssia notes that Ivy is awake so holds her on the bare skin of her chest for a cuddle, breathing in her new favourite smell, baby powder. Meddow takes an interest and sits on Alyssia's shoulder wanting to be part of the cuddle.

It's just before dinnertime that there's a knock at the front door, Toby answers it, guiding Ben into the living room, "Hi Ben," She keeps her voice quiet.

"Hey," He whispers, greeting Alyssia sitting beside her, his eyes trained to Ivy, "Congratulations, both of you. This is for Ivy," He holds up the gift bag.

"Then let's do a swap," Alyssia settles Ivy into Ben's hold and takes the gift bag inside is a silver rattle with Ivy engraved on the handle, "Thank you, Ben, for its lovely."

Ben is not listening, he is captivated by the baby girl in his arms, "She's so sweet," He takes the rattle shaking it gently in front of her. Ivy's eyes follow the object in wonder.

Coming back with three cups of coffee, Toby snickers at his best friend's besotted smile, "Does that look mean Uncle Ben is available for babysitting at any time?"

The blonde does react to that giving him a pointed look, "Not at any time, but when I'm not working, absolutely. Who wouldn't want to babysit this little angel." Ben ends up staying to have dinner with the pair before going home.

Around half-past 9 after another feed and nappy change, Alyssia takes Ivy up to their room for bed. While Ivy is still awake, she lowers her into the bassinet then gets ready for bed herself.

Just before getting into bed, she checks on Ivy and she's fast asleep. Toby joins Alyssia after checking the house is locked up.

The first night home went well, Alyssia got up to feed Ivy then Toby got up to change her nappy.