Book Two: Chapter 23

Tiffany dived into the lake water, close to the shore. She would have washed naked if Kevin wasn’t with us. Holly, Malaya, and I wouldn’t care. We took showers together a lot after our practices.

Poor Tiffany. Nobody deserved to smell like shit all night.

When she finished, she stepped toward us from the lake, shivering like a frightened cat. Her hair drenched down her shoulders, wet and messy. Her makeup melted off her pale face, and her nurse cap was missing.

Geez! She looked like a ghost woman who drowned in the lake.

“Are you okay now?” I asked, sniffing her a little. The foul turd stench around her body was gone, and no brown spots stained her costume.

She shook her hair. “I’m good….. What now?”

Kevin rose from a log on the sand. “Well, since we can’t leave, hiding is our best option. The forest is too dangerous right now because wolves love to hunt in the woods. I suggest we take shelter inside the castle.”

“Are you nuts?” Holly exclaimed. “What if those things are in there, waiting for us?”

“I am not going back in there too!” Malaya shouted, flinging her arms up.

“It’s risky, but the castle has plenty of floors to hide from the werewolves,” Kevin explained. “We can barricade or lock ourselves inside a secure room.”

Holly raised her eyebrows. “And?”

“We wait for help to arrive. Our parents will realize we are missing and they will call the police. It might take a while, but they will find us.”

“But what if the werewolves attack them?” Malaya asked.

“Not in daylight. The werewolves can only transform at night.”

I checked my phone.

So far I didn’t receive any new messages from my dad. I totally know he will search for me like a bloodhound on crack.

“But I don’t want to be trapped inside a cramped smelly room for hours!” Tiffany complained. “There must be another way off this stupid island!”

“Can we fight them somehow?” Holly asked.

Malaya dropped her mouth. “Hell no! We can’t fight them! Didn’t you see how easy they can rip a human body apart with one hand?”

Kevin smirked. “Actually we could.”

My squad and I gazed at him, widening our eyes.

“What did you mean we could?” Tiffany asked. “You brought a shotgun to the party?”

Kevin fixed his glasses. “I brought ten silver stakes in my duffle bag, and Salina has witchcraft tools to create spells. Werewolves are weak against silver.”

I raised my left eyebrow with a glare. “I totally thought you guys were hunting vampires.”

Tiffany gasped with her hands on her cheeks. “There are vampires here too?”

Salina giggled. “Relax, we haven’t found one yet.”

Kevin glared at her and shook his head. “No, there are no vampires here. Only werewolves, as far as we now know. But we have the equipment to defend ourselves with. The spells and silver weapons will help us survive till sunrise.”

Malaya cheered, throwing her fist up. “Hot damn! We’ll do this like From Dusk Till Dawn!”

I giggled. “Okay, if the castle is clear, we will barricade the perimeter and totally arm ourselves until down. Agree?”

My squad nodded.

I guessed this Halloween night won’t suck after all….. If we can survive though.

“Oops! I almost forgot.” Salina pulled out her porch and threw a pinch of powder onto Tiffany’s face.

She coughed and rubbed her face. “What the hell! I think you hit my eye, creep!”

Salina rolled her eyes. “Better than getting eaten alive.”

She sprinkled the rest into our hair before we walked slowly into the dark forest.