Book Three: Chapter 19

I opened my eyes, seeing the blurriness fade away from my vision. I tried rising up, but four chains held me down. My arms and legs were bonded on a stone table inside a stone chamber. Pretty enormous like a theater with four pillars at the corners. Torches hung on the pillars, giving enough light to light the entire ancient structure. Behind my head, a staircase stood toward an open archway at the top. The only way out.

I pulled the chains, but somehow I couldn't pull myself free. Why wasn't my werewolf super strength working?

"It's no use," a handsome echoed, "those chains are stronger than you."

My heart raced when Tyler approached me in a black robe. Dark eyeliners spread around his eyes, making him appear Egyptian. "You can't escape from me."

I grinned while surprised at the same time. "Tyler….. What are you doing?"

"I am not Tyler. My real name is Nex. The former bodyguard of Queen Sahir."

My mouth hung. "You're the mummy?"

He nodded.

My lips trembled. "But-but you look human!"

Nex rubbed his fingers around his chisel face. "This is my living form. But my undead form is unsatisfying to look at. To maintain my natural appearance, I had to steal life from the living in this town."

I widened my eyes and glared. "So you are the one who murdered them?"

Nex clenched his fist. “I have no choice. If I didn’t suck their essences, I wouldn’t remain on this plane.”

I shook the chains. They felt so heavy like freaking boulders! “Why are you doing this?”

Nex smiled. “Because you are Nathifa. My Nathifa.”

I narrowed my eyes, confused. What the hell did he mean by that?

He stroked my hair. “Before I met my fate, I chanted a spell to revive me when I felt the presence of my love. When you approached my sarcophagus, I tried to call you, but you ignored me. To find you, I broke loose and sacrificed a few humans to adapt to the new age. I learned everything from my victim’s essence. I learned your language, culture, and technology. When I discovered your school, I disguised myself as a new student so I could watch you. Waiting for the right moment to bring you here.”

I glanced around. “What is this place?”

Nex stared at the ceiling. “The town’s tomb yard. A cemetery, they called it.”

The chamber must be a burial room deep inside a century-old mausoleum. Indeed, it was the perfect place for the mummy to hide. 

“Why do you think I am, Nathifa?” I asked. “I’m not Egyptian!”

Nex glanced down upon her. “You were Nathifa. You have her image, her hair, and her voice. You are her reincarnation.”

I felt like my mind has totally fallen into a blender. I heard about reincarnation in class before. I assumed it was only a made-up myth to help people get over death.

If I could reincarnate, I would prefer to become a dog so I could live a comfy life in a nice house. But if I was an Egyptian princess, does that still make me a princess?

Oh my god! I am totally a princess cheerleader! Too bad I couldn't remember my Egyptian past.

I sucked my lips. “But I can't remember anything!"

Nex rubbed my head, smiling at me closely. “You will. After I sacrifice you.”

My breath turned cold. Oh god… Oh god!