Book Two: Chapter 24

We strolled on our toes through the woods, making fewer sounds on the ground so the werewolves wouldn’t hear us. Our steps sounded close to my ears since my enhanced hearing was sensitive. It sounded like a fat guy chewing a crunchy candy bar near my ear.

I clenched my teeth, focusing on what was ahead. Feet shouldn’t be my total distraction.

Salina tapped on Kevin’s shoulder, smirking. “Hey Kevin, how does it feel to be the only boy with pretty girls?”

Kevin beamed his eyes at her. “What?”

Salina gestured to my friends. “The only boy with us. Hmmm? Feeling lucky yet?”

Kevin lowered his jaw a little. “Uhhhhhhhhh…..”

“I can hear you,” I whispered behind them. “We don’t have time to mess around.”

Salina glared at me. “You’re no fun. I only want to lighten the mood.”

“Yeah right. Plus, what is the total point of Kevin being the only boy with us? That shouldn’t matter.”

“Um-hum, but I know some guys dream about being alone with girls. If I was Kevin…” She glanced at my friends. “I would take my chance to score with all of them.”

My cheeks turned red. “Stop being weird, Salina! Kevin is not like that!”
Kevin shrugged. “I wouldn’t mind.”
I widened my eyes at him. “What?”
He blushed a little. “I meant being alone with girls. Not for….. An inappropriate reason.”

I glared at him. “It better not be for any inappropriate reason. My squad would never bang the same guy on one bed!”

“Excuse me?” Tiffany hissed.

I grinned at her. “Never mind.”

I would never share the same guy with other girls. Whoever has that type of fantasy, must have a broken head.

We soon reached the castle and stopped in our tracks. Two werewolves sat in front of the entrance, maybe guarding the doors.

My friends and I immediately took cover behind the trees and watched the mutts. Their yellow eyes gazed around like searchlights, and they snorted each time they looked.

“I told you they were waiting for us!” Holly whispered.

“How are we going to get in there?” Malaya asked. “Will they still sense us?”

Salina checked her porch. “I only have a few sprinkles left. They can’t smell us, but they will notice when we close the door. We’re dead if they see us.”
I could fight the werewolves, but if I transform, my squad will see me. I still didn’t feel comfortable about changing near them. But what if they don’t see me transform? That thought sparked an idea inside my head.

“Let me distract them,” I suggested. “I can drive them away from the castle. When they are gone, you guys run for shelter.”

Holly grabbed my skirt. "No, Jessica! They will eat you!"

"But I can totally run fast. They totally won't catch me."

"Hey! Didn't you see how fast those damn things were moving?" Malaya asked. "You would have to be a horse to outrun them."

"Or a cheetah," Holly added.

I totally didn't need to become a horse or a cheetah. My wolf legs had the same speed as the other werewolves. Once I become alone in the woods, I could finally use my full strength.

"Just trust me," I said. "Someone has to draw them away."

"No!" Tiffany grabbed my shoulders and shook me. "I won't lose you like Brian!"

I smiled at her and lowered her arms. "Tiffany, please don't worry. I am braver than all of you. After I lose them, I will run back to the castle."

"You promise?" Malaya asked softly.
After I nodded, my squad hugged me with tears in their eyes. They were totally worried about me, but I knew they could trust me.

I glanced at Salina. "If I don't come back in ten minutes, you come for me. Okay?"

The witch curved her grin. 

I glared at the werewolves as my squad stepped back from me. Here goes nothing.