Book Two: Chapter 30

Salina jumped and almost fell off her chair. She rubbed her eyes and glanced around on high alert. "Huh? Huh? What was that?"

I opened my ears more, catching more gunshot sounds echoing outside. "I think there is a gunfight happening out there."

"A gunfight?" Kevin picked up his spear and raced through the door. "I think help has arrived. Come on!"

Salina and I grabbed our weapons, then followed Kevin through the hallway. We can research more about Lord Dregan later.

In the entrance hall, my friends hid behind a pillar, staring at the front door. The guns grew louder and louder behind it.

"Jessica! Someone is shooting outside!" Holly shouted, hugging Tiffany from behind like a frightened little girl.

"Is it an attack?" Malaya asked.

I shook my head. "No, I think-"

The door banged and rattled. Someone was totally outside.

"Hello?" A man's voice shouted. "This is the police! If anyone is in there, please let me in!"

My eyes widened after I recognized that voice. "That's my dad!"

"Hold on! It might be them trying to trick us!" Tiffany cried.

I growled at her and raced toward the door. Werewolves couldn't intimate different voices to treat their prey. And how the hell would they know about my dad?

Kevin said the police would find us here sooner or later when our parents became worried. I didn't expect it would take a whole night for them to figure out we lost communication with the town. When they found the island, the werewolf biker gang found them too.

"Dad!" I pulled the door open, letting the cold air breezed over my shoulders.

A tall fat man in a sheriff's uniform charged through and collapsed to the carpet. His left arm bled with ripped flesh exposed beneath his torn fabric.

I closed the door and sat on my knees near my dad. I pushed him onto his back and checked his wound. Four deep red slash marks, nearly showing his bones. I totally couldn't tell if they were bitten marks on his flesh.

God, I hoped not. If my daddy becomes a werewolf, he would totally track me down and prevent me from having my own fun.

My friends gathered around him.

"Is he bitten?" Tiffany exclaimed.

I sniffed his wound, smelling only his warm flesh. "I don't know."

Kevin stared at the wound marks closely. "I think those are only claw marks. He should be okay."

I glared at him. "Does he look okay to you?"

My dad moaned as he glanced at me. "Jessica?"

I held his left hand, smiling tearfully at his face. "Yes, daddy! I am totally here!"

Dad's face grimaced. "Why are you....."

He closed his eyes and slowly fainted. His cold breath left his lips.

My heart raced and I shook his body. "Dad? Dad! Wake up!"

Kevin placed two fingers on my dad's neck. "His pulse is still beating. He must have lost a lot of blood when they attacked him."

"Hey, pig!" Betty's voice shouted outside. "Come back out and play with us! We're still hungry! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

My blood boiled, fueling my heart with rage. That bitch is going to pay!

I got up and marched toward the door with the spear in my left hand.

"Jessica, where are you going?" Tiffany asked.

I placed my hand on the door handle. "I'm ending this, once and for all."

"No, Jessica!" Holly cried. "They will kill you!"

I gritted my teeth. "I don't care! As long as they are here, help will never come!"

"But we can wait until sunrise," said Malaya. "That was part of the plan."

I glared at her. "And let my dad bleed to death?"

My friends glanced at the floor with worries clouding around them.

"Just listen to me! The longer we hide in here, the more lives will be lost. They just killed my dad's squad out there, and they are planning to break through to finish the job! We have to fight them now, or we will never see the sun rise over the mountains! It's now or never!"

Tiffany, Holly, and Malaya sat quietly on the floor. I could tell they were afraid because none of them trained to fight monsters like me. They were just ordinary girls who liked cheerleading and shopping. Without any good fighting skills, they won't have a chance against the monsters outside. Only Salina, Kevin, and I could fight the werewolves because we studied them and trained together to fight them. Either way, somebody has to fight them before they could siege into the castle.

Salina rose to her feet. "I'll come with you-"

"No!" I pointed my spear at her. "You stay here and heal my dad. Kevin, you will protect everyone here."

Kevin nodded. "Do you have a plan?"

I glared at the floor while clenching my teeth. "I don't know. I'll just kick all their asses until they totally run away."

"They will outnumber you if you step out there alone."

I shot my burning eyes at him. "Then what else should I do?"

Kevin tossed his spear toward me. "Kill their alpha."

I caught his spear and smiled at him. "No shit. She's totally at the top of my hit list."