Book Three: Chapter 12

I charged through the diner and leaped over the cashier counter. I checked the kitchen, but found nobody. Meat burned on the grill and fryer boiled, spreading stream across the ceiling.

Before the kitchen completely fogged up, I switched the grill and the fryer off. I couldn't smell anything, except the burned burger and the greasy oil. 

Toward the back on the left, I spotted the backdoor open. I walked through it, entering the back of the diner outside with a dumpster. 

My smelling senses returned and I caught a similar smell from the museum. The smell of death!

On the ground, I gasped in horror. 

Two bodies laid together with charcoal wrinkled skin, empty eye sockets, and open mouths in terror. Both of them wore Burger Queen uniforms, which  helped me recognize them. One of them was Jeff, and the other was Brandy. 

I kneeled and touched both their necks. No pulses, and their fleshes felt hard and hollow. Like nothing was inside of them anymore.

"Oh my god……" I rose as my body trembled. 

Kevin reached me and stopped when he glanced at the bodies. "Oh my!"

I growled and glanced all over the place. But nothing was near the street or behind the dumpster. Even the strange ancient smell was gone. I couldn't track its origin.

Kevin kneeled toward the corpses to examine them. "Jeff and Brandy?"

I nodded. "They died the same way as the guard at the museum."

Kevin touched one of the bodies. "Oh man….. They feel dried up, like they were-"

"Mummified?"

Kevin nodded.

I never touched a mummy, but I seen unwrapped bodies in magazines and science history textbooks before. I could easily compare the bodies to the mummy photographs. "How could this totally happened?"

I looked around again. "I didn't hear anything else, and the smell is gone. It's like they were turned into raisins from nothing."

Kevin rose. "I better not touch more. The cops will find this crime scene too."

"Should we, like totally leave now?" 

Kevin turned to me. "Are you sure you can't track anything?"

"Duh! If I could, I would totally be pounding the thing's butt now."

Kevin chuckled.

"What?"

"Oh nothing." Kevin fixed his glasses. "If it is a mummy, it could hide its senses to ambush its victims. Or it could be a spirit, haunting the streets."

I gulped. "I don't think I could totally fight ghosts."

"Or it is just a curse spreading across the town like a virus. That won't be good for anyone here."

I crossed my arms. "Well it totally knocked the sarcophagus down and broke out. It totally has to be a mummy."

"Right, a mummy that can sneak around and suck people's lives without detection. Why don't you keep on a lookout while I search for clues."

"Okay." I turned around and stepped toward the street. "We should call the police soon before someone thinks we totally committed murder here."

"First we examine the clues, and then we can call them."

"What if we can't find any clues?"

"That will not stop us from finding the creature." Kevin checked around the bodies and peeked behind the dumpster.