Book Four: Chapter 5

My ears rang as I hit the haystack, and I landed hard on my back. I couldn't breathe for a few seconds. My eyes flicked open, and I found Kevin and Salina lying next to me. We were in a dimly lit barn, and I heard animals around us. I stood up and looked around. The barn was old and musty, with wooden planks holding the roof. The cows and chickens ran around, making a ruckus.

"Where are we?" I asked, trying to calm myself.

Kevin stood up and dusted off his shirt. "I have no idea."

Salina looked around, her eyes wide. "I think we time traveled."

I frowned at her. "What? That's crazy. That can't be possible."

"Then how do you explain this?" Kevin said, pointing at the vortex that was slowly disappearing.

I opened my mouth to argue, but I couldn't find any words. My mind was in a fog, and I couldn't process what was happening.

"We need to find a way back," Salina said, standing up. "But first, we need to figure out where and when we are."

I nodded in agreement, and we left the barn. We walked outside and found ourselves in a small village.

I looked around in awe, taking in the sights and sounds of the medieval village. The buildings were made of stone, with thatched roofs and wooden shutters covering the windows. The streets were unpaved and dusty, and there were chickens and pigs running around freely. I noticed a group of women hanging clothes on a line while men were working in the fields.

Kevin's voice brought me back to reality as he spoke about the time period. "We might be in England in the 1300s. Based on what the people are wearing," he said.

I felt embarrassed for not knowing enough about history as Salina nodded in agreement. I looked at the villagers, hoping to gather some more information.

Kevin approached a peasant man. "Excuse me, sir. Can you tell us where we are?"

The man hissed at him and walked away, clarifying that he didn't want to talk to outsiders.

I sighed in frustration, feeling lost and unsure of what to do next. This was completely surreal, and I couldn't believe we were actually in the medieval times.

I heard a loud scream that made me shiver. Suddenly, villagers ran past Kevin, Salina, and me in a hurry. The people were frightened and their faces were pale.

"The bandits are coming! The bandits are coming!" one of the villagers yelled, warning others.

Moments later, I saw the bandits on horses charging into the village, wielding weapons and causing chaos. The bandits set the houses on fire and attacked helpless people who were running around trying to escape.

Kevin, Salina, and I hid behind a cart and watched the brutal attack. Fear and anger boiled up inside me as I watched the villagers suffer. "We need to help them!" I cried out, feeling desperate.

"How?" Kevin asked, his eyes wide with fear.

I glanced up at the dark sky and noticed something strange happening. My hands and feet tingled, and I felt an energy coursing through my veins. I smiled and jumped from my cover, ready to face the bandits.

As I closed my eyes, I could feel the power surging through me. My body began to shake and vibrate as my bones cracked and my muscles bulged. I felt a jolt of electricity run through me as my body changed.

I opened my eyes and saw my hands transforming into sharp claws. My teeth began to grow and sharpen, and my nose elongated into a wolf's snout. My hair grew long and white, and my clothes stretched as my body grew in size.