Book Two: Chapter 28

Salina stopped near a tree. She placed her hand on the rough bark, breathing heavily. "I can't….. Run….. Longer….."

I spun around, glaring at her. "Are you totally kidding me?"

Salina sighed. "Sorry, but my feet hurt. I have been running around all night."

I snorted. No wonder witches totally ride on broomsticks. "Let me help you."

I lifted her up off the ground, holding her with my arms beneath her legs and back. Her lavender scent flowed through my nostrils.

How could she still be clean? Do witches use spells to stay clean without taking showers?

While I sprinted, Salina snuggled her head against my chest. “My savior.”
I groaned. "Don't get any weird ideas, okay?"

Salina moaned. "When we get back inside the castle, you should rub my feet."

"Ewwww! You do that yourself!"
The witch huffed in disappointment.
For crying out loud, I wasn’t anyone's nurse or massage therapist. We're in a life and death situation on the island. Rub your own feet if that will help you walk, lazy!

As I reached the castle, Kevin and Tiffany held the door open, holding silver stakes.

"Come on! Come on, Jessica!" Tiffany cried.

I dashed faster until I ran through the door. Tiffany slammed the door shut as I placed Salina down. Kevin pushed a table against the door after he locked it.

"Will that hold them off?" Tiffany asked.

Kevin removed his glasses and wiped his face. "Hopefully long enough."

Tiffany ran to me and hugged me. "Don't do that again! You're lucky the goth girl found you!"

Salina waved her hand. "You're welcome!"

I embraced Tiffany for a bit and glanced at Kevin. "Is everything barricaded?"

"Yes," Kevin answered, putting his glasses back on. "We locked all the doors, except the hallway to the library. They can only break through the main entrance to reach us. But I don’t know how long we can stay safe in here."

"What time is it?"

Tiffany glanced at her sport wristwatch. "It is now midnight."
I clenched my teeth. "Shit! It will take totally seven hours for the sun to rise!"

Tiffany placed her hands on her face. "This is bad! Totally totally bad!"
"Come on, we can't give up now," said Kevin. "We are still alive and we have their weaknesses. Let's get armed before they attack."
I nodded.

*****

The girls and I sat on the stairway, holding wooden spears with sliver stakes on them. Thank god I didn’t need to worry about burning my hands off.

I totally had no clue how long we waited for an attack. Whatever the werewolves were doing outside, they might be waiting patiently. Maybe they decided to leave to hunt someplace else. But I knew that would be totally bogus.

After Salina shot four werewolves, Betty was totally pissed off. The hunger in her eyes grew wide with fury. Not only did she want blood, she wanted vengeance. And Salina might be her main course.

I yawned and checked my digital wristwatch. 

2:01 AM.

Crap! We still had more hours to wait!
Too bad I was the only one awake. Tiffany, Malaya, and Holly laid on the bottom steps, sleeping peacefully. Their terror totally pooped them out.

“Jessica,” Kevin whispered behind me.
I almost jumped, but my legs were numbed. “Well, you totally woke me.”

“Sorry…..” He scratched his hair. “How are you”

I rubbed my eyes. “Tired, on full alert. My body wants to totally fall asleep now. But my wolf instinct wouldn’t allow me. While danger is outside, I know they could attack at any time.”

“I understand. Maybe some knowledge will calm your system.”

“Knowledge?”

Kevin held up a black leather book. “This is Lord Dregan’s journal. It explains everything. Everything about what is going on here. Do you want me to tell you in the library?”

I yawned again. Perhaps learning about Dregan’s secret will keep me awake from boredom. But it might be totally important. “Sure.”