Book Three: Chapter 11

Burger Queen was still open by the time Kevin parked his car in the parking lot. Nobody else was there. Maybe the dinner rush was over. 

Kevin turned the key, switching the engine.  "Your father will not mind about us eating here?"

"I'm sure," I replied. "Why did you asked?”

Kevin shuddered.  "Because I don't want him breaking down my door and throwing me into jail."

I burst laughing. "No worries. He isn't a monster like me."

Thank god that wasn’t true. A monster dad would be worse than a mummy.

I totally really needed something to eat before I go primal. My Dad was at work, and he said take-out was fine. He needed to go to the grocery store on his next day off, hopefully. I am growing tired of eating junkfood.

After stepping out, we entered the empty diner and the smell of fried meat sizzled toward my enhanced senses. Ooooooh, sought heaven!

We approached the cashier counter where a tall skinny man with a gray beard stood behind the register. Who the heck was he?

Brandy usually worked at Burger Queen as if it was part of his life. I don’t really know him, but Brady was very nice and loyal to the customers. His great service surprisingly made him popular. Maybe someday his boss will promoted him to the manager position. At least that is better than being a cook and cashier.  

“Can I take your order,” the tall man, Jeff, asked. His name tag was on his chest.

“Ten mini cheeseburgers and two strawberry soda please,” I ordered.

Jeff typed on the register. “Fifteen bucks please.”

I handed him my credit card. “Have you seen Brandy?”

Jeff slid my card through the credit card reader. “You know him?”

"Kind of, I seen him a lot here."

Jeff handed the card to me. "He's in the back, almost done with his shaft. The kid never quits his job."

I giggled. "I totally bet."

"Your order should be ready in a few minutes. I'll see what Brandy is doing."

"Thanks." After I took the number stand, I followed Kevin to a table at the back. 

We sat down together, admiring the beautiful night outside.

"I'm totally glad it's clear out there," I said. "Too bad the moon isn't full."

Kevin clicked his tongue. "Have you thought about your future yet?"

I sighed. "It's a total mind blender. If I am immortal, does that mean I will never grow up?"

"I don't know….. Maybe not physically. Just mentally I guess. Mark is the only werewolf we encountered who still looks young. He lived for a hundred years."

"That sounds scary." I massaged my left shoulder. "If I stay young, everyone will totally question me. And if I can't die….. Everyone around me will."

"Jessica……"

"Sorry." I sniffed and wiped a tear off my eye. "I was going too far."

Kevin smirked. "Not at all. I understand. If I was you, I would be concerned too. But I believe you shouldn't worry right now. We still got a mummy to hunt."

I nodded with a grin. I couldn't let my worries about my future block my way of protecting my home. I must stay strong with a good open heart.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!" Jeff's voice shouted from outside.

I jumped onto the table and faced the cashier counter where the scream came from. The scream didn't scared me, but it sure as hell pushed me into self-defense mode. "It's Jeff!"

Kevin rose off the seat. "He sounds like he's in trouble!"