Chapter 23- Sentimental

Sentimental

I didn’t have too much confidence in my promised ability to take down Elfin, so I wanted to tie up any loose ends. Which meant both of my parents. I encouraged Brook, Ezra, and Eli to have dinner with G-ma and Jenkins. Eli ad Ezra were hesitant but agreed. The battle was only days away and I was treating these days like they were my last.

Brook would actually go home tonight, considering our house was way past capacity. I had forgotten she didn’t live there with us and I think her parents were almost convinced she moved out without telling them.

Dinner went smoothly and just as I remembered. Sometimes I wish I could take back these parts of my life, but I knew I would regret that. After this whole thing… if I survived… I should be good for at least another hundred years. Before we left I did the whole long hug and ’if anything happens to me, I love you’ thing. They were scared for a second but I told them I was just feeling sentimental.

“Addi everything will be fine.” Eli said in the car on the way home. “It’s just one day we have to get through and the rest is ours.”

That was almost comforting. A nice way to look at it I guess. We just had to manage to fight through this one day. Surely with vampires it would not go past a day. We were too impatient. Either someone loses or someone loses. Everyone was determined to win, though. One day… just one day and the rest is mine.

Something Ezra told me sprang into my head: “The lose is damaging to our existence.” A lot of ours would die in this as well as his. A shadow of of sadness was cast over me as that dramatizing thought. I couldn’t save them all. All I could do was take down the leader who was causing so much madness.

When we got back home I was hungry for some real food, and decided I should ask Rachel and Colin if they wanted to hunt with me. Who knew who would make it out of this. I had forgotten Colin wasn’t like us but he came along anyways.

“You know Addison the other are talking.” Rachel says as we pull off in my car.

“About what?”

“You/ What is his interest with you?”

“What do you mean, his interest in me?”

“Well it’s no secret he sent others to your school. And the principal. Ezra always has something new to tell us only after he is with you. After a while you start to notice things. Not like we have anything better to do.”

Ezra was a little too open with them. Common sense tell you, you give too much information without a source, people are going to start guessing. I’d have to talk to Ezra, but I didn’t know what to tell them first.

‘Don’t tell them who you are Addi. Just say you don’t know and ignore the rest. They will let it go’ Colten whispered in my head.

“I don’t know what to tell you guys. Me and Ezra are best friends we talk a lot.” I told them shrugging my shoulders.

‘It’s ok Addi, almost all the vampires there don’t even know what a Soul Seer is.’ Colten whispered.

Maybe the reason I should tell was also because no one would get it and ask a million question I didn’t want to answer.

The hunt went interestingly. Rachel was well aware of the fact I didn’t hunt humans, so she needed more blood than me from the animals. After having them around for a while I guess I was getting used to them. I wasn’t so irritated when Colin was asking me questions. Think now I felt they were not trying to be my parents but just my friends. My message had gotten through that I didn’t want new parents. The thought that this could be the last time we spent time together made me feel… bad for all the time I spent mad at them or avoiding them. Soon Rachel could die and Colin would be heart broken. And all I’d have to remember her is this night and the times I was upset. Like she had read my mind Rachel came over to us. “Those animals are great! They put up quite the fight.” she smiled. “Addi” she turned to me “I’m glad you asked us out tonight, there is something I’ve been wanted to give you.” She reached around her neck and pulled out a heart shaped locket. “I know this is a battle. Which means we can lose. If I don’t make it out of this, I want you to have this.” she pulled the chain over her head and placed it around my neck. I picked it up and opened it. On one side was a picture of her and Colin on their wedding day and the other was a picture of her holding me in the hospital bed. She was looking down at me with those loving eyes; the ones I always dreamed of. I remembered what Colten had told me about she couldn’t stop crying, and they didn’t have anything. A painful realization hit me. They love me. It hurt so bad but it felt like I have been missing this tiny piece  for so long. That love I always wanted was right here in this moment.