Chapter 24- The Battle

The Battle

This was it. We arrived at the forest around eleven thirty. No one questioned how we knew what we knew; we just let everyone draw their own conclusions. I waited around with Eli and Ezra less than arms length away. I stared up at the sun remembering what sight I walked into last night. Every single vampire in the overly sized house was lying on any space they could just to hold their significant other close. They knew as well I did that this could be the last time. Ezra had stayed the night at Brook’s anticipating the same thing. Eli and I took up the only space available, which was Ezra’s bed. The night passed so slowly with no sleep, but no one moved an inch. Around midnight Colten started to sing a lullaby in my head. It was possibly the sweetest song I’ve ever heard. Around one he crossed realms and took his time staring at only me the rest of the night as he sang the song over and over.

He was still at a stand still with his visions. All he could see was Saturday afternoon, and he couldn’t get past it. He only assumed the worst, that some how he would be no more.

I spent the morning in his realm sobbing about what might happen. He held me and took in everything he could about me. I felt him catching the scent of my hair and constantly running his figures through it. He rubbed my face and my arms a hundred times over while never taking his eyes off me for a second. I did the same trying to remember every inch of him. It was hard to stare at him for too long and not feel sadness thinking that this may be the last time I see him.

“It’s time to go.” He whispered in my ear as we held each other tight. I held on for one more minute and let him go so I could walk through him.

Everybody seemed ready and waiting, except me. There was something I wanted to do, but I wasn’t sure what it was. I had my goodbyes with Brook, Ezra, Eli, and my parents. I stood around I could tell I looked alarmed.

“What’s the matter?” Eli asked as he pulled me into a hug. “It’s going to be ok.” He said and kissed the top of my head then squeezed m tight. “You can and will do this.”

I sighed and hugged him back.

‘Addi tell Ezra to tell them no one is to touch Elfin. To leave him for last.’ Colten said to me.

I pulled away from Eli and pulled Ezra closer to whisper in his ear. He nods and I looked up at the sun, it was almost time.

I closed my eyes and tilted my head back to feel the wind in my hair. I felt a presence and opened my eyes to see Colten laying his head on my face lightly, making sure not to go through. I smiled and closed my eyes again then I felt a soft kiss on my cheek. I open my eyes again and Eli is leaning over me, we kiss but I only allow it for a minute. Time was precious and I was forgetting something.

“Addi, five minutes. They are approaching” Colten says “Your locket.” He whispers. That was it! That heart wrenching feeling I was forgetting something.

I turn around and tell Ezra and Eli five minutes, not caring who hears. I search through the crowd looking for Rachel. I see her sitting against a tree tracing her fingers around her neck where her locket used to be.

I dropped to my knees in front of her and held her as tight as I could. I heard Ezra announce to everyone five minutes until Elfin shows.

“I love you.” I whispered to her. “I love you so much. I’ve loved you my entire life, but you were never there. I dreamed of meeting you and hugging you. I wanted to do everything with you, and now that I have you I regret being so mad and missing any time with I could have spent with you.” I told her.

I felt her hold in my start to feel desperate like she wished she could hold me tighter.

“I love you to baby!” she said as she tried not to cry. “I love you too.” It was all she could say as she cried into my shoulder.