Chapter 8

"Thank you again, I wouldn't have been able to get this work done if it weren't for you," the maid said as we walked towards the front door.

It was now hours later, the sun was up and the house was now cleaned up with new furniture for the bottom floor on its way. Most of the staff left a while ago, so it was just us left to do some finishing touches.

But I could tell she was tired, she'd been working a lot longer than me and I could tell she needed some sleep. Instead of making her stay until everything was perfect, I let her go home to her family.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay, Mrs. Hyde? I wouldn't want your husband to be upset about you having to do work on your own," she budged, insisting that I let her stay.

"I'm very sure. Don't you worry about him, I'll handle it. Now get home to your family, I'm sure they're waiting up for you," I smiled, gently easing her out before giving her a wave as she walked off. After she was out of sight, I closed the door, locked it and went back into the kitchen where I'd left the mop.

I resumed the music, appreciating the mellow beat of Unfair by The Neighbourhood as it filled my eardrums through my headphones. It was addictive, making my legs wanna just give out from beneath me so I could lay on the cold floor with my eyes closed and enjoy it properly.

But I needed to get this done. It was almost noon, meaning Sinn would probably be waking up with an automatic grouchy mood. With all the alcohol he drank last night, he would be suffering from a pounding headache at least.

Worst case scenario, when it comes to him, he'd burst through the doors and shoot me in the head. Best-case scenario, he'd burst through the doors and shoot me in the head. I haven't decided whether it would be so bad and I don't see anything other than that happening since one, I welcomed myself into his property, leaving him drunk and helpless in the hotel on his own. Two, I practically forced his driver to get me out of there, even though he shouldn't be taking orders from me. Three, the simple fact that I am living and breathing.

He's just not too fond of my existence in general.

In an attempt to soften him up for whenever he got here, I prepared some coffee and put it in a mug on the kitchen island just a few feet away from where I was mopping the floor. The first thing he'd notice was that and I know how much he loves my coffee, so I thought it'd be worth a try.

My mind was so caught up in my racing thoughts and trying to get the floor as clean as possible that I didn't realize someone had walked through the front door until I felt the vibration of their footsteps reverberating across the tiles of the floor. My hand immediately tightened its hold on the mop as my heart started racing and dropped to my stomach while the other pulled my earbuds out.

My hands moved quicker than my mind and the mop was replaced with my gun within my next blink. My finger was on the trigger, the other taking it off the safety as I turned to face the intruder.

The beating of my heart surprisingly quickened, every nerve in my body becoming alert and anxious when I was met with those icy, dark eyes looking down at me in boredom. His hand wrapped around the barrel of my gun which was a quarter of an inch away from his chest then pulled it out of mine.

"It's just me, princess, calm your tits," he muttered, sounding tired and irritated as he tucked my gun into his waistband.

My hands shook in both strain and relief, every muscle in my body tense until I closed my eyes and reassured myself that I was completely safe.

"So dramatic," he mumbled under his breath. I ignored him and focused on my breathing, counting up to five as I inhaled then another five as I exhaled, holding for three in between.