Chapter 47

Jasmine's POV...

Talking to Sinn on the phone earlier made me miss him more. I couldn't fall back asleep so I headed downstairs and started making breakfast for everybody. They'd been working so hard, all day and night, just to keep me safe. 

I wanted to pay them back somehow. It wasn't much but at least they'd get a nice, warm meal first thing in the morning. As I finished plating everything around the counter, the back door opened. 

My dad came strolling in, looking down at his phone as he walked into the kitchen. "Good morning," I said. 

He jumped at the sound of my voice and looked up. Then he chuckled and eased his tense shoulders when he saw that it was me, "You scared me." 

"Sorry," I smiled and looked at all of the food, "I made breakfast for everybody." 

"Ooh," He approached the counter, "Looks great, kid. I'll let 'em know." 

I nodded as he walked back to where he was coming from and shouted out, "Hey! Come eat, Jasmine made breakfast! Hey, I'm gonna go shower. Save me some bacon." He said, heading for the guest room he was staying in.

Soon enough, the kitchen was crowded with a bunch of hungry men. My dad kept them entertained while I cleaned up in the kitchen and sipped on a hot cup of coffee. The doctor would be here soon to check on my wounds. 

Just as I finished the dishes, my phone rang. My heart jumped when I saw Sinn's name on the screen and excused myself, rushing into the empty living room. "Hi!" 

"Jasmine? Jasmine, are you okay?" His voice sounded panicked, making the smile on my face vanish as my mouth fell open. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. Why, what's going on?" I gripped the fabric of my pants as I looked up at everyone, making sure their attention was elsewhere. When I looked at my dad, his eyes were on me. The moment they made contact with mine, he looked away.

"Listen to me. Do not trust anyone in that house," He said. "Whoever was behind this is there. They might even be in the house." 

"What? Sinn-" I shot up from the couch and covered my mouth in shock.

"Baby, act like you don't know anything. They'll try to finish the job if they find out your guard is up. I need you to go to our room and get your gun. Don't speak to anyone until I get there, we're flying over right now." He ordered sternly.

My body shivered as I looked around in shock, trying to keep my breathing in control, "But-but what about my dad-" 

"No, Jasmine. We can't trust anybody right now. Please, just listen to me and lock yourself in the room. Don't hesitate to shoot if you need to." He pleaded desperately. I closed my eyes, my body and face heating up as I struggled to swallow. 

"Okay," I murmured. 

"Be strong for me baby," His voice became soft, "There's more men on their way. Don't be scared, Jasmine." 

"Okay, okay," I repeated. "I love you." 

"I love you more." 

I took my phone away from my ear and the realization that Sinn wasn't here, that I had to figure this out on my own for who knows how long, hit me like a ton of bricks. I rubbed my fingers against my sweaty palms as I walked into the kitchen and forced on a smile.

"I'm gonna go shower," I said casually and continued walking. 

As I walked up the stairs, tears filled my eyes. 

I want to tell him. I want to be able to trust him. All I want right now is someone I can trust. I want my dad. But I don't have him, not in that way. Not yet. I can't be so gullible, trusting someone who's just welcomed me into their lives after wanting nothing to do with me for the past ten years.