Chapter 27

"Princess?" I called out after entering the apartment. After paying Julian a visit, I headed to the office to get a few meetings over with so I wouldn't be disturbed throughout the week while spending time with Jasmine.

"Hi," she greeted. Turning my head, I spotted her brewing some coffee in the kitchen. I grinned in excitement and approached her. Looking up, she smiled. The tiny gesture warmed my cold heart faster than anything could.

I missed that smile.

"I'm making coffee," she stated.

I nodded, "I see that, sweetheart. What'd you do today?"

"Um, well, I woke up and saw that you left," she started, pulling two cups out from the cupboard and beginning to pour the coffee, "so I watched a movie while doing some work, and handed in some assignments. Then I just sat and stared outside while waiting for you to get back and saw you pulling up to the building."

"Oh, yeah? Stalking after me, hm?" I teased, wrapping my arm around the front of her stomach and pulling her in. I placed soft pecks against her face as she laughed, playfully pushing me away with her hands.

Her laughs calmed as her eyes found mine and we stared at each other, my arms encasing her body as her fingers caressed my cheek while her other hand found the nape of my neck. I watched her sunken eyes, now tired and dull as opposed to the happiness they held what like like so long ago now.

It was subtle but so obvious to me now knowing the reasoning behind her despair. Noticing the shame on my face, she smiled reassuringly. I shook my head, "don't comfort me, Jasmine. I'm not the one that-" I stopped myself, unable to muster the courage to say it aloud.

"Anyone can feel hurt," she said, holding my wrist and brushing her thumb back and forth on my skin, "some pain is worse than others but that doesn't make it any less important. I'm...I'm here for you, just like I know you're here for me."

"You're unbelievable," I said, "you know that?" She smiled and nodded as I leaned down and kissed her. I pulled away and let her finish up the coffee while I changed out of my clothes into a pair of sweatpants and a black shirt.

As we sat on the couch, drinking coffee together, I noticed the troubled look on her face as she stared at the fireplace with the cup against her lips, in deep thought.

"What's on that pretty mind of yours?" I asked her. She snapped out of her daze and looked at me, about to laugh it off until she saw the persistence on my face.

"What's going to happen to him now?" She quietly asked, not even taking his name.

"He's going to get what he deserves."

She looked at me in shock, "you're going to kill him?"

"Soon. Maybe," I shrugged, "just having a bit of fun with him first."

"Are you okay?" My face fell in confusion at her question. She sighed, "you've known him your whole life. He's one of your closest fr-"

"No, he wasn't," I shook my head, "A close friend wouldn't do that. He was a greedy little shit who only cared about power, just like his father. It doesn't hurt to inflict pain on people that deserve it, don't worry."

"Sinn."

"Yeah?"

"You don't have to lie to protect my feelings," she murmured gently, taking my hand.

"Jasmine, I'm not lying," I insisted, "I have no problem making that piece of shit feel ten times the pain that he made you feel."

She shook her head and looked away, a tear falling from her eye and rolling down her cheek, "no matter what you do to him, he won't feel any more than I did, Sinn." My heart fell into my stomach as she continued, "he knows inside why he's receiving that pain. He's a bad person. But I...I don't know what I did to deserve it."