Chapter Eight

"Please excuse me," The small phone in my pocket vibrated, drawing my attention away from my fellow officer's story about the night before. Something about a man that had eaten too many marijuana-infused brownies.

I excused myself into the adjacent room, quickly taking in my surroundings, taking extra care to look for any possible listeners.

When I saw it was just me in the claustrophobic break-room, I reached into my pocket, pulling out the burner phone. The number across the small front screen read 'Unknown', as it always did. 

I flipped open the device with a hard flick, and put it to my ear.

"What's the shakedown, Neil?"

"I've interviewed the fiancé of Henry, the man your team failed to kill. You guys need to get it together," I scolded. I could hear Tim scoff on the other end of the line, obviously irritated.

"We need to get it together? You could have held her for twenty-four hours for further investigation yet you let her go. This whole fucking fiasco could have been over and done with by now if you actually had done your job, detective," His words were laced with venom yet still held his normal mischievous quality. I rolled my eyes at his comment. I had no evidence to deem it appropriate to hold her, and his lack of knowledge irritated me further than I already was.

"You forget, I do what I do to get a cut of what you do, and if you aren't doing it, why should I, Tim?"

He laughed into the phone so loud I almost had to move the phone from my ear.

"Because, officer Neil, I know your entire family. And, I have to say, your wife is definitely a looker. Though, don't ever put it past me to murder a pretty woman, because I've done it, and won't hesitate to do it again. I'd hate for the children to see it and be scarred, though, so I might as well take them back to you know who,"

A shudder ran down my spine as I looked around again, paranoid someone would walk in and hear me talking about such matters.

"There's no reason to go that far Tim, okay? Listen, I got some useful information from her interview,"

He sighed approvingly, laughing into the phone again. "See? Now how hard was that? "

He paused, waiting for me to answer. I refused to humiliate myself by even acknowledging he asked it.

"Well what are you waiting for? I don't have all fucking year Neil, tell me what I need to hear and let's be fucking done with this,"

I pulled out the yellow sheet of paper I had ripped from the notepad I had used while interviewing (Name). I knew all the information she had given, even if it was minimal, would be of use. Just knowing about the laptop made her an asset to them, and I knew it.

The cut they gave me from their missions in exchange for information was incredible and kept my wife's nails done and my kids nicely clothed. I couldn't risk losing it, and at this point, I had entwined myself too deeply in their schemes to remove myself easily. With all that I knew about them, withdrawing my informational inputs was an assured death sentence for me or someone I loved. Thankfully, it wouldn't be my wife. A good woman, undoubtedly, but a good lover? Not nearly as good as her sister. My "business trips"  to (Next Town/ City) were often in the occupation of 'adultering'.

"She has knowledge of the laptop, and gave it as a reason that someone may try and rob him. I have it in custody, but I can't keep it, otherwise I would have already given it directly to you."

He huffed angrily into the phone, cursing under his breath. "Why didn't you give it to her when you already had her there? Cops really are useless,"