Chapter Twenty-Eight

I had left Jeff alone for five minutes. Five whole fucking minutes. Yet it was just enough time for (Name) to slip his grasp; he was an imbecile and was proving that to be true more and more everyday. 

I took in his form as I quickly made my way out the front door I had just dragged Tim in; he was doubled over, his hands furiously rubbing at his wide eyes and he was practically screaming.

The scent of a strong pepper or spice hung in the air around him as I screamed at him to tell me which way she had went. A question asked in vain; surely he didn't see where she had went with mace blocking his view.

She was one tough woman, I had to give her credit where credit was due. She was able to outsmart Jeff a grand total of twice now, but had yet to get out of my own grasp. If only Jeff had let me restrain her while he brought Tim inside instead, but he was much too hard-headed to see a logical decision behind anything. He was a skilled associate in the Operation, but was too emotionally-driven, which, to give him some benefit of the doubt, was a very hard thing not to be when dealing with (Name). She had enamored us all; I was sure that she had driven her hooks somewhere into the heart of Tim as well if he had been trying to cart her off to safety.

But unfortunately for her, she wouldn't be carted off to safety. Not now, not ever. She had made her mark on us all, and though she hadn't done it intentionally, she had still done it regardless.

I hadn't even been able to have a single conversation with her, and for that, I was a little grateful. How she had been able to affect me without speaking to me was scary, but how deeply she'd affect me if we ever did speak was a thought that was terrifying.

A woman I barely knew had confounded me and had consumed my thoughts since the very second I had seen her; what would I even say to her if I were to have a conversation with her?

Hey, I know we haven't ever spoken, but I'm irrevocably in love with you, let's get married at the courthouse tomorrow?

I chuckled a little at the thought, but quickly shook it from my mind. 

I knew I had to go find her before someone, or something, else in these woods did. How tragic an ending to our unwritten story it would be if the rake had found her before me. Maybe I'd get there just on time and be able to fight him off, becoming a hero to her.

Maybe I'd get there just a second too late and be the last person she'd ever see. My body gave a twitch at that thought; though I had been more than acclimated to seeing absurd amounts of gore, it wasn't something I wished to see coming from her body.

Drawing both hatchets from my belt where they were always clasped, I half thought about throwing one behind me and landing it into Jeff's skull for letting the girl go. How stupid he could be sometimes was really aggravating, but I had to admit, he had given me a chance to play the good-guy role to (Name). If I made a good first impression, made it seem like I had went to save her from the horrible things in the woods for her benefit instead of my own, maybe then I'd have a chance with her.

A smirk spread across my scarred face as I set out to find her. (Name) would be mine, and mine alone. 

Thanks, Jeff.

--Jack POV--

With the last piece of furniture in the cabin broken, I threw both hands up into my hair, tugging on it exasperatedly. Tim was nowhere to be seen, and neither was (Name).

Why had I ever let Tim watch her? She probably would have been better off on her own, seeing as how every single one of the associates she had come in contact with, she had cast some sort of ancient magic against that only worked in her favor.