Chapter Sixteen

"F-fuck you," Jeff spat out a tooth nonchalantly as he cursed at me, all the while I was wearing a shit-eating grin. I was finally presented with an outlet to take out my anger. Take out all the frustration of the last twenty-four hours, pummel the guilt of Henry's death into somebody else. It felt fucking amazing.

Jack chuckled beside me at Jeff's pointless curse. He hadn't only agreed wholeheartedly to let me give Jeff a proper smackdown, but he had also taken his place next to me to correct my form in order to get the most effective punches. 

It did strike a nerve deep within me, however. No matter what Jeff had done in his past nor will do in his future, he was a person. I typically held a very strong stance against the use of violence, especially after Henry had shown me the effects of using it on someone; the emotional and physical damage it could and would cause. But this time, it felt almost as if I had a chance to defend myself. I imagined Jeff as Henry in my mind. After all he had put me through. All the lies, all the times he went missing for days with no explanation, all the times he had almost killed himself, and all for the bittersweet taste of his poison of choice. Fuck Henry for being abusive, and fuck Jeff for being in the right place at the wrong time.

I circled Jeff, staring down at him. Jack kept his gaze on me with unwavering intensity, not even bothering to look at Jeff, spitting up small amounts of blood from his dislodged tooth, as he watched my every move. He was giving me control; though a small amount, it was control all the same. He had let me nearly turn Jeff's face into a concaved, leather-skinned mess; why? What could he possibly gain from watching me take out my anger on some other wretched soul?

I returned his gaze, staring him down with the same intensity he had always looked upon me with. He didn't back down, and with my new-found confidence, neither did I. Finally, after what seemed like a full eon and a half, he spoke.

"I'm quite impressed. You've just pummeled a serial killer, and one of the most absolutely unhinged ones I've ever met,"

And in an instant, my confidence was gone. A serial killer? Unhinged?

Oh fuck.

Jeff laughed annoyingly. What a great position to be in to laugh; tied to a chair and beat to the heavens. Or, from what Jack said, beat to hell.

"(Name) is really into this foreplay shit, huh? Baby, punching me ain't nothin'. I'm more hardcore myself, but I like the effort."

My eyes narrowed in disgust, gaze still unmoving from Jack's. He just shrugged, and gestured to Jeff. Still void of his mask, most likely from losing it whilst he was chasing me, he mouthed 'What are you going to say?'

What could I say? What looked like a beating to an outsider was really just some sort of disgusting foreplay for Jeff. But I had to keep the same energy, I couldn't let either of them know I'd falter if pressured. After all I'd been through with Henry, on top of being kidnapped, it was obvious that I would bend, but never break, and I wouldn't start now.

I continued circling him as I had before, slow and deliberate. I hated to admit it, but it was a tactic that reminded me of something that Jack would do. Studying his mannerisms had given me an upper hand in this moment as both of their gazes fell on me, Jeff holding a smoldering hellfire in his lidless eyes that wouldn't hesitate to smother me if I faltered.

" You have any kids, Jeff? Would you like to keep the ability to have them? You're pretty vulnerable right now, tied up in chair and all," I trailed off, savoring the panicked look he shot at Jack as he realized my threat. Would I actually do it? It really all depended on his answer.