Chapter Twenty-Seven

We were nearly there; I could see the glint of the gray metal doors just a few more feet in front of me. All the apprehension and adrenaline at the idea of escape that had once filled and fueled me had drained even faster than it had appeared as I felt a rough grip on my arm, the skin of the hand that had grabbed me cold against my own skin.

"You thought it would be so easy to just leave?"

I knew the voice; it had burned itself into my memory and would stay there for an immeasurable amount of time.

I didn't care to respond, not wanting to give Jeff the satisfaction of an answer or reaction. Instead, I looked to my side where Tim had once been just in time to see the man Jeff had come with to terrorize me with a day before, Toby, swiftly grab one of the twin axes from the clasp of his belt loop by the blade only to swing it so the handle made hearty contact with the side of Tim's temple.

My eyes widened as I watched Tim, my salvation, my hope, and dare I say, my friend, fall to the ground as his eyes rolled to the back of his head.

"Fuck you!"

I spat as I struggled violently in Jeff's grasp, and took a sort of satisfaction in knowing that it took Toby's help to properly restrain me.

I knew Tim wasn't dead; they must have some sort of pact not to kill their associates, right? They couldn't just go killing each-other, surely there was something in place to stop them from seriously injuring or killing one another. It seemed that even if that was the case, it had been rules placed in vain as Toby broke his vice grip from my arms and turned his attention back to Tim, dragging the taller man into the shell of a house behind us.

We had almost made it. We were so close. Every time I had found myself on the cusp of freedom, it was taken away at the very last second. Either by Jack when he somehow knew I was making an escape when he had gone to deal with Neil, or by Jeff and Toby, who had undoubtedly seen Tim and I trying to escape.

Tim had mentioned that it could very well happen, and had more than adequately prepared me for that sort of situation.

When Toby had dragged Tim a good enough distance to where I was sure he wouldn't hear me, I turned my attentions to Jeff. 

It took a minute of whispering his name to pull him out of his tunnel-focus on restraining me, but once he realized I was addressing him, he froze in his spot, his grip still tightly encircling my upper arms to hold them at their sides.

"Long time no see,"

He whipped me around so that he was still gripping my shoulders to hold down my arms but could get a proper view of my face as I was now in front of him.

"Too long, doll,"

His words were laced in malice and sarcasm; he was still upset about me pinning Toby against him. Of course, I'd known it was a possibility that he hadn't forgotten about it, after all, he surely had spent more time with Toby than the few mere minutes he had spent with me. Toby would have had plenty of time to pin Jeff against me as I had done to him, and honestly, I wouldn't blame him. He would have died at the hands of Jeff if it wasn't for Jack intervening like he did.

Remembering the gruesome display of carnage that Jack did to Jeff, I found myself wondering how he had healed so quickly. I knew Jack had dislocated both of Jeff's shoulders, so how would he be able to recover so quickly? He wasn't in a cast, or even a sling, but his strength was definitely there; I was sure I'd have bruises on my shoulders after our encounter due to his grip.

As Jeff looked over me expectantly, I cleared the thoughts from my mind, making a note to ask Jack about it later should I ever get to talk to him again.