Chapter Twenty-Six

I couldn't enter the house, not in the state it was in at least, that much was apparent.

Even from the great distance between myself and the informant female, I could still discern what she had said; and I didn't care for it one bit. They'd be looking for (Name) with a such a report. And losing her wasn't something I was willing to do, and a part of me was starting to think that it wasn't just for the sake of the assignment anymore. 

She wasn't supposed to be interesting. She wasn't supposed to be so captivating; she was just another human. She was just supposed to be another human, another assignment. But the longer she stayed in the cabin, her scent bombarding my senses completely and her name bullying all other thoughts from entering my head, the longer I wanted her to stay. Surely the boss would all too soon realize that the assignment hadn't been completed as quickly as he had anticipated, and he would start to ask questions.

I had to decide if his questions were of more importance than my own, and while I desperately wanted the answer to be my own, I knew much better. Would I risk my own freedom for the girl?

As I crouched in the dense woodlands behind what used to be the girl's house, going out of my way to take the food from her former residence that would surely fit her liking rather than call in favors to get generic food, I had my answer. 

But, the best part about being accustomed to being emotionally distant is that though I was feeling something quite confusing regarding her, she'd never know. I'd never allow her to know. I'd complete the assignment, and get her out of my life as quickly as possible. She was clouding my judgements, and that fact stood out in crimson as I caught the female informant gazing almost directly to where I was positioned.

I knew she hadn't seen me, for if she had, she would have instantly alerted the army of officers. I had to stop the rampant thoughts of (Name), it was distracting me in ways that could prove dangerous. With that in mind, I made my final decision.

I pulled myself from the pesky thoughts for the moment, refocusing myself on what I was going to do next.

Though I hadn't been able to grab the informant's name, I had been able to see the glint of the badge that the officer wore; Detective Brackie.

Perhaps that would come in use, especially if the little detective decided to get a little too close to the case.

Bzzt, Bzzt.

The device in my pocket vibrated, but I didn't bother checking it. Another snarky update from Tim was a message that could surely wait until later on.

With a heavy sigh, I decided that there was nothing further I could do in regards to getting into (Name)'s house, but if she had to go without food much longer, it would definitely turn into an emergency situation. She had already gone multiple days without eating, and if I wanted to complete the assignment any time soon, she'd have to eat to help her body heal from all the deep bruises and cuts she had attained.

You did that to her.

A pang of guilt flickered deep inside of me. I had caused her so much pain in the beginning, and it was very clear that she still felt avid animosity toward me. She had told me before I left to stop acting like I cared about her well-being, because if I really did care, I wouldn't have hurt her in the first place. And I couldn't argue, because she was absolutely correct.

I had tried convincing myself that forcing her to comply was part of the assignment, but I knew I didn't need to use such force with her. So why did I? The bruises littering her skin served as another reminder as to why I needed to get her as far away from me as possible as soon as possible; I couldn't care for her without hurting her in some way or another, and certain types of pain could be much worse than physical. I could never love her; to love her was to betray her, to lie to her, and to hurt her. She could never know what I was. What I have done. How long I've been doing it. What my diet consisted of.