Chapter Twenty-Nine

Ever since my childhood, I had been close friends with the darkness in life. The weighted emotions that I carried when I was just a girl didn't cease to plague me as I got older; in fact, they had seemed to grow alongside me. As I grew from an introverted teen into an empty adolescent, I often found myself wondering if the dark side of life was the only side. I was always told to watch and hope for the sun as I stood under the heavy rainclouds, but the rain never cleared.

The rainclouds never stopped raining. They never even moved.

So instead of seeing through my own rainclouds, I decided I'd have to try and see the sun through the clouds of others.

And as I found myself standing under the blanketed weight of the darkness, the eerily silent woods encircling me, I halted in my tracks.

It hit me in one, gigantic wave; I could have ran to the comfort of my own home. I could have told the police my story, even if they weren't willing to believe it. I could have run into the arms of Mary-Lynn, my best friend who I never got to say goodbye to, and could have lived out the rest of my life somewhat peacefully.

But I consciously chose to go back to him. The monster that had held me captive in more ways than one. His face was the only image I could procure in my head, and his voice was the only sound I cared to hear. Even if I tried to explain it to myself, I wouldn't understand. I couldn't.

I knew that Jack had come to mean something to me after the time I had spent with him, and I knew being around me was having the same effect on him. I couldn't shake the nightmares I had had of him, and whatever they possibly could have meant. I couldn't shake the image of him trembling after I had rattled his name off to him without ever having to be officially told it.

I couldn't quite shake Jack in general. But as far as I could tell, he wanted me gone. He wanted to complete his assignment given to him from some unknown boss and finally be rid of me.

I wouldn't and couldn't blame him. From meeting some of his "co-workers" or whatever they may be called, he seemed to be the most put-together of the group, it only made sense that he would have to be completely and utterly focused. And I was a distraction.

Though, it felt a little good knowing that I may have been causing him trouble. He had put me through a lot since meeting him; he kidnapped me rather violently from my own home, he had struck me much more than once, and had been a pretty huge prick overall. He didn't care to voice what he was thinking, or anything else really, so it was extremely difficult to see into his world. At least, until I had remembered the nightmares.

I had to talk to him. If I knew anything, it was that I had to come clean to him about what I knew, and how I had come to know it.  I was sure that his reaction would be less than pleasant knowing I had hidden the information from him for so long, but if anyone would have an answer as to why it was even occurring in the first place, it would be him.

I reassured myself as I continued my trek through the thick, unknown woods, trying to make out his dark silhouette in the darkness of the woods. How stupid I felt.

I was feeling confident in the beginning, when I had first found Jack's phone and was able to use the GPS. However, I didn't take into account the battery life on the device, and once the already very low battery hit five percent, only a few apps on the phone would still work. The GPS unfortunately wasn't one of those working apps.

I had lost the way rather quickly, as memorizing directions had never been my forte, and found myself wandering an unknown forest at night with a very dim source of light in my hand.

I stopped again, this time settling at the base of a tree I couldn't make out in great detail and let a single tear slide down my cheek. I wouldn't be able to find Jack's cabin in the pitch darkness, nor would I be able to find my way back to my own house even if I wanted to. I would have to stay in these woods overnight, trying not to get found by Jeff and Toby nor catching the attention of a bear or some other ominous forest-dweller.

With Jack's unlocked phone in my hands, I decided I had only one option; go through the phone and see if there was any indication as to where he had gone, seeing as how entering my house for any reason would have been impossible, even for someone like Jack.

I didn't bother scanning through the contacts, as that would have wasted precious time I couldn't afford to lose. Instead, I opened the SMS app where his incoming and outgoing texts would be documented, staring at the very first name.

Jeff.

I knew he must have known Jeff, as they knew each-other's names and seemed to be familiar with one another, though it didn't seem that the relationship between them was a particularly amicable one. That thought was confirmed as I opened the conversation, my eyes landing on the last message sent from Jeff.

' So you let Tim babysit her. Fucking intelligent. So fucking smart. Because Tim took her, and led her right into our fucking arms. MY fucking arms, Jacky-boy. I'd say be smarter not work harder, but all your so called 'intelligence' has led her right to us this time! BAHAHAHAHAH. She's MINE now, Jack.' 7:45 P.M.

It had been sent more than three hours ago, yet Jack hadn't even opened the message.

And at that, I snapped. Jack hadn't even read the message. He probably hadn't even given his phone a second glance at the deeply concerning text. He probably smiled as he read it,  happy that he was rid of me.

Well, if that's what he wanted, then that's what he would get.

I selected a name from his conversations, and typed out my message.

'Hey. Just call me when you can. It's not Jack, btw.' Sent at 10:56 P.M.

I clutched the phone tightly to my chest, hoping to receive the call sooner than later, and sure enough, the little device started buzzing.

I answered right away, but said nothing, hoping he would speak first so I could confirm it was really him.

"You're a badass, you know that? You got away from fucking Jeff, (Name). Not once, but twice! You'd kick ass if you ever joined us,"

His voice retained the playful and mischievous tone it had carried when I had first met him, and at the familiar voice I relaxed a little.

"Yeah, I used the mace you gave me. He didn't like that too much,"

He laughed into the phone, muttering something about how Jeff had to be seen by their 'facility nurse'.

"But I'm kinda in a predicament now,"

"Well you're calling from Jack's phone, so I kinda figured as much,"

He let out a chuckle again.

"Long story short, I'm lost in the woods. No fucking idea where I am, and I don't-"

I tried to let out a scream, but a gloved hand was tightly covering my nose and mouth. As I fought against the hand blocking my breathing, I could feel myself drifting in and out of consciousness. Right before I completely succumbed to the oxygen loss, I faintly heard Tim's voice screaming my name over the phone.

Though I had found myself at what had seemed to be the end of my life quite a few times now, I wasn't scared of dying this time if that's what was going to happen. I only felt a little saddened. I'd never get to stand beside Jack and see the sun through his clouds.

--Hey yall, long time since the last update. I had my birthday party on the 31st, I'm 21 nowwwwww

I can't stand the taste of alcohol so drinking wasn't in my plans at all, but I did shmoke a little at the end of the night and was feeling good lol

I don't have too much to say on this chapter, but I do wanna let ya'll know that this book is coming to a close soon! We have a few more chapters before it's finito and I wanna thank everybody now for the support and the votes! Yall mean a lot to me, especially the devout readers who went through and voted for literally every chapter, yall mean a LOT to me <3

And as Always, if you're going to Meatball, do it Extravagantly.--