Chapter Thirteen

I could hear her heart racing in her chest, nearly pounding against her skin. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she ran, knowing I was close enough to grab her right by the shirt if I wanted to. After such a disappointing hunt due to her, I found it only fair to terrorize her a bit.

She kept looking over her shoulder every few steps, desperately trying to see if her futile running had put any amount of distance between us.

I'd had enough of toying with her, and decided to end it.

Reaching just above me to grab a tree branch, I used the momentum I had gained from the chasing to launch me directly in front of her, back facing her.

I landed mere inches away from her, and made sure she knew it. I raised myself slowly, unfurling myself to my full height, effortlessly avoiding the thick branches that threatened to make unwanted contact. My treasured navy mask had fallen off during the chase; I hadn't cared enough to stop and grab it.

It wasn't as if the branches were low-sprouting, it was that I stood nearly seven feet tall. The wilderness wasn't crafted to make it comfortable for cannibalistic cryptids.

"Holy shit," I chuckled a bit to myself, audible enough just for me. I had been slouching most of the times I had spoken to her, adjusting myself to her height so fear didn't completely overtake her. Making her fear me enough to comply was the goal, not terrifying her to the point where fight-or-flight would properly set in.

"Why don't you fuck off already?" I turned my head over my shoulder facing her directly, and laughed. It was always hilarious how she thought she was safe enough to speak to her kidnapper that way. What part of me screamed 'safety'? Was it the organ eating? The carved out and mutilated 'eyes'? Possibly the ever-inviting claws and gray skin. A real security blanket I was. Definitely.

"Where are you even going, (Name)? A great idea to run, really. Especially the direction you're going," My voice still held the undead twinge from the last time I had spoken to her, when I had told her I would be back. Though I didn't show it, I wanted to crush her windpipes with my bare hands and watch as her life slowly left her captivating (eye color) eyes until they glossed over. I wanted to rip her open from her lush bottom lip to her beautifully shaped naval and feast upon her like I hadn't eaten in eons. If it wasn't for the taunting taste of freedom barely touching the tip of my tongue, there wouldn't have been anything stopping me. Just another human.

"Away from you! You left the door unlocked, technically, me running is your own fuckin' fault! Do monsters take accountability, or is responsibility another fuckin' trait you lack?"

Her fear-laced curses rang throughout the forest. She did have a point. I had let my anger consume me, and as a result, I had given her the opportunity to run. Had I chose to deal with Neil first, there was a huge possibility that she actually would have escaped. At least, escaped my imprisonment. She was running in the exact location of the murder-house mansion; just a few more miles and she would have undoubtedly knocked on the door, only to meet with monsters far more terrifying and merciless than I.

I couldn't help but smile at the notion. Genuinely. For once, not showing any sort of sarcasm toward her. She was right, after all. Even I could give her that.

"You do have a point, I left the door unlocked. But it appears that running was useless anyway. Tell me," I turned toward her fully before she could properly register I had come so close. Lightly, I traced a single sharp claw from the base of her throat to the very end of her chin, watching her swallow instinctively at my actions. Her pulse, pushing ever so slightly against my fingertip, was racing. Her eyes grew wide as I lowered my face ever closer to her own, her nose nearly touching my own. For a brief moment, I didn't feel a heartbeat under my fingertip, but it had quickly resumed. A grin spread across my lips. She was terrified; the intoxicating scent of her fear wafted up into my face as I hungrily took in the scent.

"Why would you run, knowing how much I love a chase, (Name)?"

--(Name) POV--

His question lingered in the air as I wracked my brain for a response. I didn't think about it at all, it was completely upon instinct that I had ran. I saw the opportunity, and I took it. I didn't expect him to be done handling Neil so quickly, and hadn't expected him to catch up nearly as fast as he had. I couldn't focus enough to form a coherent thought. His breath, cool against my face as he spoke mixed with his clawed finger steadily holding my chin up had my senses going wild. What was he going to do next? What was he thinking? It was impossible to see even a glimpse into his world with his lack of eyes.

"Hmm?"

He was wasting his time waiting for an answer I wouldn't be able to give. I tried backing away from him, but his hands shot out in front of him roughly, pushing me to the forest floor. He crouched down before me in a squatting position, his head tilting slightly to the side.

"What? Can't talk now? You had so much to say earlier, I was really looking forward to speaking with you. We have so much to talk about, like why I should even let you live after all the trouble you've caused me,"

"Because I know more about you than I've let on, Jack."

He paused, his features falling like they had at the previous mention of his name. A momentary lapse in his ever-present cockiness. A major win. I was able to take his split-second shock and use it to my advantage; I slid back, creating some distance between us.

"Neil told you more than just what you had said to me?"

I shook my head, staring at him as he had done to me over and over. It was my turn to take back a little power.

"Neil had never told me anything to begin with. You believed every lie I spouted, yet believe you're the 'superior' one," I stood, he quickly rose alongside me, trying to anticipate my next move. I didn't make the mistake again of doubting his ability to do so.

"Jack, I had dreams of seeing you before I ever met you. I know you used to be human,"

"That's enough,"

He could move so fast at times that the human brain would not be able to pick up on it. Now was one of those times. The ringing in my ears was deafening as a deep pain set through the right side of my temple, spreading rapidly behind my eyes and causing color to fade in and out. I briefly felt as if I was under water, only vaguely aware that I had been punched. It felt as if someone had grabbed me around the waist and slung me over their shoulder as my stomach made harsh contact with something and the pressure of a strong hand on my lower back held me in place. I tried to steady myself on instinct due to the floaty-feeling of being picked up only to grab two fistfuls of a soft, semi-scratchy material. I tried to see what I had grabbed despite the pounding headache from the incredible hit, and was met with a dull, blurry black. The only black material I had even vaguely remembered seeing in the whole forest had been attached to the torso of Jack himself- his sweatshirt.