Chapter Eighteen

(Trigger warning!! Graphic depictions of violence/ gore)

An upstanding citizen, even when not in uniform, a great father to his children and a wonderful provider to his wife was how the outsiders viewed Neil. Brian and I, though? We called him fucking dead. For someone who was supposed to be tough, supposed to be well-trained in the art of disarming and de-escalation, he sure cried a lot. First thing that threw me off about Neil, other than his tendency to give out names he barely had the right to know, was that despite how well he was paid by our Operation, he kept his family living in a low-income complex. What a fucking mess. Used the money to pay for his little "business" trips to see his wife's sister, Ingrid. He had a deep-rooted sort of pride in the assumption that we didn't know any names of anybody closely attached to him. In reality, we knew his wife's name, his children's names, his mistresses' name, fuck we could probably find out the fucking name of his goldfish if we wanted to.

Before Brain and I had left the old and decrepit mansion to mosey our way over to Neil's complex, we hadn't hesitated to stop by the Conversation Room, where we knew Slenderman would be.

When I had told him about Toby's excursion and how he had dragged Jeff into it, he had instantly disappeared, leaving only a barely-visible, thin black smoke that fully dissipated within seconds. He was pissed

We had taken his sudden exit as our leave and had grabbed our weapons and signature clothing articles; for me, it was my mask. For Brian, it was his hoodie and mask combo. Looked fucking stupid to me, but it would make sense that he would like it, him being fucking stupid to match.

Brain never really wanted to kill somebody unless it was directly ordered, and Neil was no exception. 

"We need to wait for a direct order to rid of Neil, Tim. Jack said there was more we needed to hear about Neil before attacking,"

His stupid, childish voice-changer just fueled into my anger. I was the leader of the Marble Hornets, and had worked my fingers to the fucking bone getting there. I had proven myself way more than once, and didn't take kindly to being questioned. As far as I was concerned, my word was gospel with Brian and Toby as my faithful followers. Though, if they disagreed, they would turn their head to their holy gospel the same as Judas had.

I whipped my entire body around to face him, my hand coming up to grip the collar of his sweatshirt as I clenched my fist around the ugly, bright yellow fabric.

"What, a direct order from me isn't fucking good enough? What are you, a pussy? You act like you haven't killed hundreds of fucking people, Brian,"

He yanked himself out of my grip, his hand gripping the handle of his .9 millimeter he had concealed in his waistband, his sweatshirt hanging over the weapon.

If he wanted a fight, he'd get one. It wasn't like either of us were ever unarmed. I clenched the crowbar in my other hand tighter, and though I didn't look, I knew my knuckles would be turning white from the strain of my grip.

"The boss has no knowledge of our intent to kill a police officer, and an ally at that, Tim. This is dangerous territory,"

He was royally pissing me off; a real ill-advised fucking move.

"You wanna stay back and bark for our master when he tells you to? You gonna eat from a fucking dish on the floor, too? Get a little pink fucking collar with his name and number on it in case you should you stray five fucking feet from kissing his ass? Go the fuck ahead, Brian."

He could never be completely unpredictable with our thoughts connected, so when he whipped out his gun and had it aimed directly at my skull, I had already raised the crowbar just a foot above his head.